SOLVED: Port Forwarding Problem and VISTA O/S

mgorin

FYI... I was having problems getting port forwarding to work with Microsoft Vista.

I was using the default port value of "88" in the port forwarding table in my router but I still could not access the services on my server from anywhere on the network.

Since I'm using the Vista O/S on the server and it has it's own native firewall software I found that it had an entry for the NCH "Broadwave Web Server" but for some reason it was opening up port "85" by default, not port "88"!! Most of the exceptions in the firewall list is associated with the software's executable file, but NOT with "Broadwave".

If you're having this problem and are running Vista, see what port number is listed in this field.

Go to Control Panel, click on the "Security Center" icon, then choose "Windows Firewall" and then "Change Settings". Then click on the "Exception Tab", highlight the listing for "Broadwave Web Server", and then click on "Properties". The port is listed there. The "TCP" protocol should also be selected if it isn't already.

Hope this might save you some head scratching time. I also submitted a bug report so one of the developers can fix this in the next release...

MG.

• 2 months later...

Thanks very good tip. I killed my Windows Firewall before I saw this to fix the problem lol

FYI... I was having problems getting port forwarding to work with Microsoft Vista.

I was using the default port value of "88" in the port forwarding table in my router but I still could not access the services on my server from anywhere on the network.

Since I'm using the Vista O/S on the server and it has it's own native firewall software I found that it had an entry for the NCH "Broadwave Web Server" but for some reason it was opening up port "85" by default, not port "88"!! Most of the exceptions in the firewall list is associated with the software's executable file, but NOT with "Broadwave".

If you're having this problem and are running Vista, see what port number is listed in this field.

Go to Control Panel, click on the "Security Center" icon, then choose "Windows Firewall" and then "Change Settings". Then click on the "Exception Tab", highlight the listing for "Broadwave Web Server", and then click on "Properties". The port is listed there. The "TCP" protocol should also be selected if it isn't already.

Hope this might save you some head scratching time. I also submitted a bug report so one of the developers can fix this in the next release...

MG.

• 3 months later...