Saving to folder

ALNOVEL

Hi all,

I am new to this and have already decided that a really old guy, which I am, probably shouldn't be doing this. I don't have any problem recording from the turntable, and have finally figured out that the files are automatically saved to the selected folder. Problem is that if I click on the track I get playback, but if I click on the file icon in the selected folder, I don't get playback. Will some of you who have been around a while or know this please help. I have never been into electronics, don't even old nor have I ever touched a cell phone, and most electronic terminology is like Greek to me.

Someone please help this old man get going with this program. And Thanks in advance.

Hi all,

I am new to this and have already decided that a really old guy, which I am, probably shouldn't be doing this. I don't have any problem recording from the turntable, and have finally figured out that the files are automatically saved to the selected folder. Problem is that if I click on the track I get playback, but if I click on the file icon in the selected folder, I don't get playback. Will some of you who have been around a while or know this please help. I have never been into electronics, don't even old nor have I ever touched a cell phone, and most electronic terminology is like Greek to me.

Someone please help this old man get going with this program. And Thanks in advance.

REPLY:

I am a newbie with the Golden Records (GR) software as well and not a young pup (retired). I encountered the same problem earlier in the week. You can play the track within Golden Records, but not from Windows Explorer with Windows Media Player. I suspected that the GR software was "locking" the audio output on the computer, so I shut the computer down, removed the USB connecter, and then booted up my computer. Do not launch GR. I went straight to Windows Explorer, found the .wav file, and clicked on it. It worked like a charm.

I am most impressed with the software. One other trick I would recommend is to review each converted track within GR, using the PLAY function to ensure that it converted perfectly. I converted four albums earlier this week and found that three tracks did not convert perfectly. On the second try, I got a perfect copy. Verifying the conversion will lessen the chances of wasting CDs when you do a subsequent burn. Also, it is important to check the CDs, because the burns are not always perfect. I am using the NCH "Express Burn Video Plus" software as I have found the Windows Media Player burner to be somewhat unreliable. I would also recommend lowering the burn speed to half of your drive's recommended speed rating. Burning at [MAX] increases the probability of burn errors.

A final hint - the current version of GR is 1.24. If you have Vista on your computer, it is advisable to update your software. If you purchased in the last three months, the update is free. I am still suffering some crashes, but the updated version is better and more stable.

Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil