Removing static noise from a recording

rebmarel

Hi,

I'd appreciate any help. I have been recording short voice recordings on Record Pad, (I have a mac, a non-intel kind), using the full version of record pad. Even with a microphone, there is a crackle noise that makes listening to the recordings challenging. I downloaded WavePad yesterday because it was suggested on the record pad help forum as a way to eliminate the static. How can I edit the tracks to leave the voice part, and remove the other parts? Additionally, the save, save as, and the controls are almost always grayed out. I have not been able to identify any consistency to why they arent, but the one time I was able to save a file, it saved without any content.

Sorry for the long post... i guess my questions are as follows:

1) how to eliminate static noises in wavepad (free version)

2) how to save/save as files (how not to have all of the functions be grayed out all the time)

Much appreciated!!!!!!!!

• 2 months later...

For question #1, I find that applying a High Pass Filter (Effects -> High Pass Filter) to the recording takes away a lot of static and noise when "Remove Noise & hiss " just does not seem to clean it up enough. Don't be scared to go up to 4000 or higher and preview the output sound. You can always amplify if you need to hear better after filter is applied.

I have been able to determine the level (in Hz) by how mush static there is in the recording. Some times I go as hi as 9000 Hz but usually find that between 2000 – 4000 Hz is best for most static.

Hope that helps . There is absolutely no education behind my reply, just trial and error.

Hi,

I'd appreciate any help. I have been recording short voice recordings on Record Pad, (I have a mac, a non-intel kind), using the full version of record pad. Even with a microphone, there is a crackle noise that makes listening to the recordings challenging. I downloaded WavePad yesterday because it was suggested on the record pad help forum as a way to eliminate the static. How can I edit the tracks to leave the voice part, and remove the other parts? Additionally, the save, save as, and the controls are almost always grayed out. I have not been able to identify any consistency to why they arent, but the one time I was able to save a file, it saved without any content.

Sorry for the long post... i guess my questions are as follows:

1) how to eliminate static noises in wavepad (free version)

2) how to save/save as files (how not to have all of the functions be grayed out all the time)

Much appreciated!!!!!!!!

Good day. JasonB has answered your question about static removal. The way to save the file is to select all, or a portion of it, then the "Save" button will not be grayed out. If you want to save the whole thing, Ctrl-A (Select All) will do it.

Not sure why you can't exit, unless WavePad is detecting that you did make changes and didn't save them yet. Try a SAVE, after selecting, and see what happens. Hope this helps. Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil