Colors in Editing Area of Version 4.01

Delta

I just tried the new 4.01 version on my notebook computer and have the following issue with the new colors used in the editing area:

The new colors don’t provide enough contrast for editing purposes. It gives the appearance of driving through heavy fog on a very smoggy day. It’s a depressing color combination, and it makes editing difficult due to the lack of contrast. Also, when an area is selected, the lighter blue on blue doesn’t provide enough contrast for editing. (Note: These colors are fine for Menu items and other Windows controls, where the user just needs to click something, but not for performing detailed editing where you really have to see what your doing.) But black works well as a background for a brighter waveform of a different color, as you had before.

In short, the original colors that you had before, green on black, were just perfect.

If you don’t want to bring back the original colors, then how about allowing the user to configure the colors?

Or, if that’s too much to ask for, then how about at least having a “classic colors” option that gives the user the choice of keeping the very satisfactory original color scheme?

Apart from this issue, WavePad’s other new features look great. I do hope you will fix the color scheme, or at least offer some color configuration options.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MichaelJee

Hello,

Have added your suggestion to our development suggestion box.

Most people like the look and feel of the new colour arrangement, suggesting fluoro green and black is tacky and antiquated. Alas, the contrast issue on a laptop TFT is understandable.

Cheers

M

Most people like the look and feel of the new colour arrangement, suggesting fluoro green and black is tacky and antiquated.

G'day Michael,

It doesn't have to be a big change. How about the spectrograph being, say, some dark colour (and non-fluoro) like navy, on a pale background? That would provide good contrast when a section is selected, wouldn't it?

Cheers, Tony Austin.

Guest MichaelJee

It could very well be a big change (code wise) im not sure.

We aren’t going to change the colour due to one inquiry. As mentioned most ppl like the new interface.

There would be an option though to change the colours for people using older laptop screens, or trying to use in bright light (Clubs)

Thanks

M

I have to agree with Delta & NT regarding the display colors...it's almost blinding. I'm thinking of rolling back to a previous version. The thing is, it looks like a negative image; the waveform is black, while the background is bright white...or something. Almost any color on a black background would have been fine...but I can hardly look at this.

• 3 weeks later...
We aren’t going to change the colour due to one inquiry. As mentioned most ppl like the new interface. There would be an option though to change the colours for people using older laptop screens, or trying to use in bright light (Clubs)

Thanks

M

I can assure you Delta is far from alone... add my vote to the list of people who want some way to get the old colour scheme back, or some alternative to the current one...

thanks...

• 5 months later...
I have to agree with Delta & NT regarding the display colors...it's almost blinding. I'm thinking of rolling back to a previous version. The thing is, it looks like a negative image; the waveform is black, while the background is bright white...or something. Almost any color on a black background would have been fine...but I can hardly look at this.

I too have been a user of wavepad for many years and just yesterday had to reload windows on my laptop. I downloaded and paid for wavepad again because I use it almost daily. If I can not change colors somehow back to green/black, or something that works, I shall be asking for a refund and begin using another product. I can not distinguish between files when editing. How do I get the old colors back, or some other color that works!! Any help would be useful. Direct email is Gene@atticchat.org

Guest nchaj

OK, OK we hear you...Ill see if we can have another option in the next release. It wont be a varied color palette but maybe a revert to the old color scheme. Gotta get it past the boss first.

• 3 weeks later...
OK, OK we hear you...Ill see if we can have another option in the next release. It wont be a varied color palette but maybe a revert to the old color scheme. Gotta get it past the boss first.

Yeah, I was wondering what the obstacle is in letting the user choose the colors for the sound tracks?

Guest nchaj

I think it comes down to a few factors, marketing is one of them. We would like Wavepad to be recognisable, and colors help that.

The good news is in the new version expected out next week, you can go into options and choose to go back to Classic Colours. Its the best we could do in a short amount of time. To give you a color palette would have taken more time we could not afford this time around, but I trust this will make some users happy.