what are the best settings for Debut to record?

Nigel_Amyes

Ok I recently asked a question here with regards to the Video and audio not being in sync with each other. I have figured out that this may be to do with the settings I am using for capturing my webcam. The problem is that i don't understand the formats and what they are for eg .mp4 etc... can someone that has their video and audio syncing when recording webcam please post the settings they are using... thanks

• 1 month later...
Ok I recently asked a question here with regards to the Video and audio not being in sync with each other. I have figured out that this may be to do with the settings I am using for capturing my webcam. The problem is that i don't understand the formats and what they are for eg .mp4 etc... can someone that has their video and audio syncing when recording webcam please post the settings they are using... thanks

Nigel I seem to have the same questions as you do. Does anyone have the answers or are we going to have to buy capture software with tech support?

• 2 weeks later...
Nigel I seem to have the same questions as you do. Does anyone have the answers or are we going to have to buy capture software with tech support?

It's all about trial and error with these settings. Also, some of the settings like mp4, avi, etc may mean you will need a different media player outside of Debut. I'm not the most experienced by any means, but noticed that no one was answering so thought I would try to help. My settings...I have a really nice video card so the quality is easier to come by. The basic principal is, the better performance you want on the video and audio is going to be a larger file saved....but if it doesn't matter the size then max it out. If you are limited then find the happy medium.

• 4 weeks later...

Trial and error here honestly is what I've found works best.

When I record with Debut, I do so at the more raw format possible, Microsoft Video 1 and PCM audio. Its a huge file but looks wonderful. Then I use Prisim to downvert to the MPEG4 and MP3 native settings.

I do this because some of the things I want to record get a better frame rate with the MV1 and PCM encoders. Its an extra step, but it works well for me. Then I can delete the huge avi (10 minutes roughly equals 1 gig), and keep the converted avi which comes it at around 20% of that size.

Hope that helps. If not, let me know. I've got some videos on YouTube that might be of assistance.

• 2 months later...
Guest N.C.H a.n
Trial and error here honestly is what I've found works best.

When I record with Debut, I do so at the more raw format possible, Microsoft Video 1 and PCM audio. Its a huge file but looks wonderful. Then I use Prisim to downvert to the MPEG4 and MP3 native settings.

I do this because some of the things I want to record get a better frame rate with the MV1 and PCM encoders. Its an extra step, but it works well for me. Then I can delete the huge avi (10 minutes roughly equals 1 gig), and keep the converted avi which comes it at around 20% of that size.

Hope that helps. If not, let me know. I've got some videos on YouTube that might be of assistance.

Hi,

try .avi, using the mpeg4 (native) video compressor. and mp3 (native) for sound.

should give a good framerate.

Thankyou

• 4 months later...

Hi there. For some reason it won't allow me to add a new topic to ask this question, so until that gets figured out. I was wondering if there's a setting to capture a video by window, instead of the entire desktop? cos this has been resulting in some problems when I try and record games. I can link if anyone needs an example of what I mean.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi,

try .avi, using the mpeg4 (native) video compressor. and mp3 (native) for sound.

should give a good framerate.

Thankyou

Hi, I think I answer you for that (bad) default settings. My best settings for capture TV-Show & others are: Use the Settings: avi; choose under Encoder-Options DV-Encoder PAL (or NTSC if necessary) Direct Show and Audio DV-Audio, its set automatically to the correct Audio settings. Thats for sure the best settings, but it brings a little Problem: The Screen isn´t big, but the Frames and Audio are excellent.

Regards Tomcat0163

• 2 weeks later...
Hi there. For some reason it won't allow me to add a new topic to ask this question, so until that gets figured out. I was wondering if there's a setting to capture a video by window, instead of the entire desktop? cos this has been resulting in some problems when I try and record games. I can link if anyone needs an example of what I mean.

I know exactly what you mean. I'm still having trouble with Debut. But, maybe you missed this comment outside this forum, like I did.: (It's from NCH about Debut)...

http://www.nchsoftware.com/capture/kb/1250.html

I figure that since almost everything on my PC runs in a Window, that Debut should be able to "see" and use the data in that Window. After all, that's why we all bought Microsoft Windows -- didn't we? Sure, there are some game that run independently, but my game (World of Warcraft) is running in its own Window. Debut should be able to "see it" and record it with sound and video. My opinion.