Cannot resume calls on hold

QSSForums

Hi,

I'm using SPA942 handsets on Axon. I have no problems making and receiving calls but have a problem with putting calls on hold.

If I hit the hold call button on the phone, the remote party hears the music on hold which is fine. However, when I try to resume the call by pressing the flashing line button, the phone goes silent at both ends. The calls aren't actually dropped because I can hit the hold call button again and the remote party again hears the music on hold. But try as I might I cannot resume the call that's been put on hold. This also means I cannot transfer the call either as transfers automatically invoke the Hold function.

Don't know where else to look.

Any help is greatly appreciated as I cannot procced with implementation if I cannot overcome this problem.

Thanks.

Update

Further feedback and testing reveals the following :-

If the calls originated from the remote party then got put on hold, when resuming the call there is no audio in either direction (ie. both direction silent).

However, if the calls originated from the SPA942 in the office then got put on hold, resuming the call results in one direction audio only, ir. there is audio from the SPA942 in the office to the remote party but there is no audio coming back from the remote party.

Any ideas ?

I'm not really sure.

95% of the time 1 way or no-way audio problems are related to conflicts with the network configuration (e.g. ports not properly forwarded)

I also know that from my time here the 'hold' function seems to be very flaky in the sense that I have had reports where it causes audio to drop 1 or both ways and other reports that say putting the call on hold and taking it off hold actually restored audio both ways for people who had audio trouble before the call was put on hold

So basically I'm sorry to tell you I have no idea and it's a big mystery to me.

However I believe Axon has a setting now (advanced line settings I think?) that is supposed to correct some instances of one-way/no-way audio problems. See if that helps?

Hi Pythonpoole and thanks for your time.

I have been in contact with the provider (PennyTel) and one of their guys said they have tested with an SPA942 and the hold function works fine. So, I took one of my SPA942 units and reconfigured it and my firewall so that it is the only thing talking to PennyTel and it works correctly. I can make / receive calls and put them on hold and successfully resume the calls. However, I noticed that although I forgot to change the MOH Server setting in the SPA942 (which remains pointing to the MOH extension number in Axon) the MOH message is now coming from PennyTel instead of Axon, which intrigued me (as I was expecting no MOH at all since the SPA942 is no longer registered with Axon).

So, I reconfigured the firewall and SPA942 back to Axon. This time I removed the MOH server entry in the SPA942 configuration and tested calling again. Guess what ? Without the MOH server setting, I can now successfully put calls on hold and retrieve them !

Now here's the mystery, I have access to two other VoIP provider accounts. Using either of these other two providers in Axon, call hold and resumes work fine even with the MOH server setting in the SPA942. But with the PennyTel service, call hold and resumes won't work if I enable the MOH setting in the SPA942.

The million dollar question is -- why ??? Isn't the MOH function internal to Axon ? If it is, why does it work with 2 other providers by not with PennyTel ?

The million dollar question is -- why ??? Isn't the MOH function internal to Axon ? If it is, why does it work with 2 other providers by not with PennyTel ?

This is an issue that has been brought up a few times. My understanding is that when Axon puts receives the command to put a call on hold, instead of just handling it internally (e.g. passing it on to IMS and leaving it at that), I believe it also signals the provider (in this case PennyTel) anyway to start the 'hold' regardless of what hold options are set-up in Axon/the extension.

For some providers, they simply ignore this on-hold signalling.. other providers sometimes decide to take over and automatically start playing their own (sometimes unlicensed) music. And lastly (as it appears in this case) many providers decide to take over and put the call on hold on their end but don't provide any music - leaving the caller in silence.

I've mentioned this problem before to NCH so hopefully an option to turn off the signalling will be present in future versions.

Hi Pythonpoole,

Sorry, eval ran out and had to clean install and resetup everything to continue testing, hence the silence .... <_<

I did contact PennyTel and got them to disable MOH for my account. That did not solve the problem. I finally found the option Always Relay Audio under Advanced Line Settings. Enabling this seems to fix the issue for PennyTel, though I'm not sure what it actually does and why this is not required for the other two VSPs. But, at least it seems to work. I now need to get back to evaluating the rest of Axon.

I guess it makes sense. Always relay audio would imply that the communications are forced to go through Axon before they go between the service provider (pennytel) hence any on-hold commands would be handled locally whereas before the call would be connected directly between the Axon extension and Pennytel. Maybe.. just a guess.

Hmm..... just a quick topic deviation here....

Have you seen / come across / know of a means to backup and restore a working Axon configuration ?

I'm evaluating a 3CX setup at the same time and the backup and restore option was simply brilliant ! I could keep a copy of the config backup somewhere safe (much like a config backup of your router settings -- everyone has one of those, right ? ;) ) and in the event of a complete disaster, I could quickly build a Win XP Box, install 3CX and restore the config and be up and running again without needing to keep a complete backup of the 3CX box (though yes, that would be simpler).

Last time I checked, Axon has a back-up feature in it's main console window (maybe it's under settings?). You should be able to back-up and restore configurations without much effort.