Golden newbie: it's recording but I can't hear it

Charles Dort

I'm trying to use Golden Records for the first time, and I successfully made a test recording, so it's working. What's odd, though, is that while doing the initial setup, and while recording, I can't hear anything from earphones plugged into my MacBook Pro's earphone jack. I have to plug my earphones into my cassette player to hear what I'm recording. Once it's recorded, I can play the recording on my Mac and hear it fine, so it's recording.

I don't know whether this is a Golden Records setting or a Mac setting, but surely there's a way for me to hear what I'm recording, and even more important, to hear it during initial calibration and setup.

Does anyone have any idea what I need to do?

Thanks!

Theophan

• 3 months later...
I'm trying to use Golden Records for the first time, and I successfully made a test recording, so it's working. What's odd, though, is that while doing the initial setup, and while recording, I can't hear anything

Golden Records does not allow you to listen while recording. You can play the recording only after the recording completes.

Golden Records does not allow you to listen while recording. You can play the recording only after the recording completes.

That's not true -- the reason why you can't listen while recording is because the "line in" volume is set to mute. Unmute it and you'll be able to hear everything.

That's not true -- the reason why you can't listen while recording is because the "line in" volume is set to mute. Unmute it and you'll be able to hear everything.

You have been able to do that? I put the the same question to support and just repeated their response (below). Just to make sure, we're talking about recording from a turntable connected through USB.

Maybe you can help me? When I go to Volume Control, my Line is unmutted, all bars to full and nothing comes through. Noticing that was set on my sound card, I then went to Options > Propetries > Mixer Device and choose USB Audeo Codec and it doesn't have a "line in". The choices available are all unmutted as well, all bars to full and still nothing.

Then right clicking on the volume icon I choose "Adjust Audio Properties", go to the Audio Tab for USB Audo Codec and volume is greyed out.

Sent: December 28, 2008 11:16:28 AM

Golden FAQRequest: > Can I listen while recording vinyl?

Hello

Regards

Sonjoy, Technical Support NCH Software

Note: while we make every attempt to give accurate advice, under our Reasonable Service Terms, the amount of time we can spend researching is limited. If you intend to rely on the advice for critical, dangerous or medical activities you must retain independent consultants to check your systems are safe and redundant. NCH Software and its employees' liability for loss is strictly limited to the amount paid for the software or support.