I have a licensed copy of Express Rip and was using it fairly successfully up until the computer I had used it on (WIN XP) crashed and burned a few days ago. I always had limited luck with freedb complete information (MusicBrainz server). I would get the correct information on one or two of the CDs in a commercial release CD set, then get completely different information for the others. No rhyme nor reason. I reinstalled the product on my laptop computer (Windows 7) and can no longer access the freedb software database for CD information. In investigating this database, I find that it is not searching directly on site. I tried a different laptop and got the same result. This is a big negative for this product, since you have to type in all product information on every CD you rip which is time consuming.