Windows Media Player 11 Codec Issue

rnneville

Hi,

I am evaluating Switch and have run into an issue. I successfully converted .wma files to .mp3 but when I click on them, Windows MEdia Players says "Windows MEdia Player cannot play this file....might not support the codec used to compress this file". It plays other .mp3 files fine. Do I need to install a codec or change the codec used by switch?

Thanks for any suggestions!

rob

Can you try playing the mp3 directly within Switch? We're trying to work out what the cause of the problem is, because we're unable to replicate it here. Are you using Vista? Where did you obtain the .wma files?

Do you have another computer that you can try and play the mp3 files on? It could be some protecting mechanism kicking in, blocking your ability to play the files because it believes they are illegal.

I'm having the same problem. I actually evaluated Switch about a year ago, but didn't get around to finishing up all my conversions. I came back to start over again and downloaded the latest versions. First I used Express Rip to try and rip a CD to my computer as an mp3 file and it wouldn't play using Windows Media Player 11. Then I used Express Rip to rip it as a wma file and it played fine. I then used Switch to try to convert the wma file to an mp3 file, but got the same error in Media Player. I was able to use Switch to play the mp3 file. All this was done with on XP. I did try to play the mp3 on an old computer running 2000 Pro with Windows Media Player 9, but I still got the original error.

The other problem I found was that I couldn't specify the output folder to be the same as the source file - [same as source file]. When I tried to convert, I got the error 'You do not have the required permissions to write to the specified output directory'. I didn't have this problem when I did this a year ago.

Hope this information helps you in solving these issues.

Can you try playing the mp3 directly within Switch? We're trying to work out what the cause of the problem is, because we're unable to replicate it here. Are you using Vista? Where did you obtain the .wma files?

Do you have another computer that you can try and play the mp3 files on? It could be some protecting mechanism kicking in, blocking your ability to play the files because it believes they are illegal.

Greetings,

I've also just started using SWITCH and have run into the same problems as other users have in converting wma to mp3 format (recent posts within the last day or so). My 'work-around' is to open the file saved by SWITCH using WAVE PAD (which plays the file) and then use the <Save As> option to re-save the file. Media player then plays the new file.

I'm using a Gigabyte motherboard, with a 2.68 GHz Celeron processor, with 1.00 GB of RAM and a Seagate ST3250820A, and using XP Home Edition. version 2002 with Service Pack 2 loaded.

Cheers

Hi,

Sorry I have already uninstalled Switch due to this issue. I did not try playing it directly within Switch. I am using Vista Ultimate on a Duo Core IBM Thinkpad. The WMS's were ripped using an older version of Media Player (9 I think). Sorry I could not be more useful!

rob

Maybe this can help...

Hi, can't really remember what my problem was... I think opening files in WavePad that I recorded (speech) with Nero gave me a codec error. I got tired of looking for a solution, didn't know where to look either. I noticed that I was able to play them with Windows media player, editing was out of the question though. I also had installed a newer version of Nero, that gave me the same error code. Didn't want to roll back, 'cause I wanted to use WavePad (faster, easier, more efficient).

So tired as I was I decided to buy SoundTap (I hope I remember the name right, is a family member of WavePad), which is a nifty tool that let's you record anything that makes a sound on your PC (check out the website for more details). So I just played all files at once in the Windows media player, recorded everything with SoundTap (starts a seperate file after a pause automatically I recall), saved and renamed all the created files and could get on with my work where I left off. It makes wav files by the way.

Perfect solution for me. And, some extra's: you can record everything on YouTube etc...

Good luck! Hope it helps you!

Greetings,

I've also just started using SWITCH and have run into the same problems as other users have in converting wma to mp3 format (recent posts within the last day or so). My 'work-around' is to open the file saved by SWITCH using WAVE PAD (which plays the file) and then use the <Save As> option to re-save the file. Media player then plays the new file.

I'm using a Gigabyte motherboard, with a 2.68 GHz Celeron processor, with 1.00 GB of RAM and a Seagate ST3250820A, and using XP Home Edition. version 2002 with Service Pack 2 loaded.

Cheers

I'm having the same issue. I'll try your work around and see if it works for me also then let the forum know the results. Thanks

Mr. Barrow's Wave Pad work around worked for me also. With Wave Pad, I simply opened my mp3 file that WMP11 would not play, jumped to the end and saved the file as an mp3 again overwriting the non-playable mp3. I then added it back to Windows Media Player 11 and it played perfectly. I had a slight problem when I moved the overwritten mp3 file back to WMP11 though in that I lost all but the first letters of the title, artist and album information. I had to re-add the information using the WMP11 advanced tag editor (which I do all the time anyhow) and then close WMP11 and re-open. All the info came back and the file played fine.

Inquired: Can you try playing the mp3 directly within Switch? We're trying to work out what the cause of the problem is, because we're unable to replicate it here. Are you using Vista? Where did you obtain the .wma files?

I'm using the latest WMP11 with Windows XP. I did not try to play the seemingly corrupted mp3 within the Switch program but I did open it with Jet Audio which I am also evaluating. Jet Audio played the file just fine. I downloaded the original (unprotected) wma file from Limewire and it played fine on WMP11.

I hope this helps. If you have any more questions about my operating system, drop an email and I'll be glad to help. If you guys can work out this little bug, I'd be happy to buy your program. So far it's extrememly fast and user friendly. Best I've encountered so far.

I have Windows Vista, Windows Media Player 11, and Switch 1.28. I have the same exact problem. The original WMA files I have were created within Windows Media Player 11. I just put one of my CD's in the drive and ripped the tracks as WMA. Then, I open one (or all) of the files and convert to MP3 within Switch. The conversion seems to work, but when I open the file(s) in Windows Media Player, I get the same error saying it cannot play the file. I think you could reproduce these symptoms on any Windows Vista machine running Windows Media Player 11.

P.S. When I play the converted file in Switch, it plays. However, I don't think this has anything to do with Windows Media Player thinking the file is illegal.

Please, please, please come out with a patch to this problem soon! This program seems great, but unless the problem is fixed, many users, including myself, will be forced to move on to some other conversion program. (It's not worth it to me to have to use the WavePad workaround every time). However, I would much rather use Switch than any other App! Will keep looking for a fix...

Okay we're now able to replicate the issue some of you have been experiencing, thanks for your assistance. I'll pass this on to the developers. It appears that the issue is only occurring with version 1.28 of Switch. A newer version is currently in testing and I'll push to get the fix into this soon-to-be-released version.

What is strange is that the same files that do not open in Windows Media Player, play fine in Switch and WavePad. So much for superior software :)

The issue is how we're writing our ID3v2 tags, Windows Media Player seems to not like them while most other media players are able to read the information. If you remove (or rewrite) these tags using other software, the files will be playable again. I've informed the developers of this issue and they sorting through it now. A newer version will hopefully be released shortly.

Switch version 1.29 is now out, install this version if you are having the Windows Media Player issue.

I tried version 1.29 and it does not play mp3 in Media Player 11.

What is the exact version of Windows Media Player you are using? What operating system? Were you able to play the original file before the conversion? (and what was the file?) All the combinations we've tried worked for us.

What is the exact version of Windows Media Player you are using? What operating system? Were you able to play the original file before the conversion? (and what was the file?) All the combinations we've tried worked for us.

Windows Media Player 11.5721.5230

Window XP SP2 (U.S. Version) installed on IBM (Loveno T41 Laptop)

Original file(s) in .wma format attempting to convert (both single and batch) to .mp3

I have tried many different files (*.wma to *.mp3), all with same result, "Windows Media Player cannot play the file. Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file".

Can individually convert successfully with Wavepad (3.05 Unlicenced Basic Free Version).

Can play the *.wma file with WMP before conversion.

Media Player Binaries Listing from support information dialog:

wmp.dll 11.0.5721.5230 wmpband.dll 11.0.5721.5145 wmpcore.dll 9.0.0.3250

wmplayer.exe 11.0.5721.5145 mpvis.dll 11.0.5721.5145 wmpui.dll 9.0.0.3250

wmploc.dll 11.0.5721.5145 wmpdxm.dll 11.0.5721.5145 wmpcd.dll 9.0.0.3250

wmpps.dll 11.0.5721.5145 wmpasf.dll 11.0.5721.5145 wmvcore.dll 11.0.5721.5145

wmpeffects.dll 11.0.5721.5145 wmpshell.dll 11.0.5721.5145

wmlaunch.exe 11.0.5721.5145 migrate.exe 9.0.0.3250

WMA Audio Codec Listing from support information dialog:

ACM Microsoft IMA ADPCM CODEC 0011 imaadp32.acm 5.1.2600.2180

ACM Microsoft ADPCM CODEC 0002 msadp32.acm 5.1.2600.2180

ACM Microsoft CCITT G.711 A-Law and u-Law CODEC 0007 msg711.acm 5.1.2600.0

ACM Microsoft GSM 6.10 Audio CODEC 0031 msgsm32.acm 5.1.2600.0

ACM DSP Group TrueSpeech Software CODEC 0022 tssoft32.acm 1.1.1.5

ACM Microsoft G.723.1 CODEC 0042 msg723.acm 4.4.0.3400

ACM Windows Media Audio 0161 msaud32.acm 8.0.0.4487

ACM Sipro Lab Telecom ACELP.net audio codec 0130 sl_anet.acm 3.2.0.0

ACM Indeo® audio software 0402 iac25_32.ax 2.0.5.53

ACM Fraunhofer IIS MPEG Layer-3 Codec (advanced) 0055 l3codeca.acm 1.9.0.305

ACM Microsoft PCM Converter 0001

DMO WMAudio Decoder DMO 0160, 0161, 0162, 0163 wmadmod.dll 11.0.5721.5145

DMO WMAPro over S/PDIF DMO 0162 wmadmod.dll 11.0.5721.5145

DMO WMA Voice Decoder DMO 000A, 000B wmspdmod.dll 11.0.5721.5145

End

• 1 month later...

Machine description: I have an Intel motherboard - Pentium machine, 1 Gig memory, 2.4Ghz speed, with Creative Live Audio (card), and M-Audio sound cards (USB), using Windows XP.

Software: Reason 4.0, Windows Media Player 11, SWITCH Version 1.30

Problem: I downloaded SWITCH to see if I could create mp3's from the wave files generated by Reason 4.0, so I may share these with friends and relatives, and they could play it on Windows Media Player. When I convert the file from wave to mp3, I get a great deal of distortion in loud music passages when played in Windows Media Player. It almost sounds as if the sound were too loud and the amp is clipping the audio. It sort of sounds raspy. If I play the same wav file or mp3 file within WAVEPAD, it sounds GREAT ! In fact it sounds as good as hearing it directly within Reason 4.0 which is quite a compliment to you folks.

So I am asking that you complete fixing SWITCH so I may purchase it. It could be worth it, if it sounds as great as within WAVEPAD. Without this, I cannot share my music files, since friends and relatives would be playing those files with Windows Media Player.

THANK YOU

Save yourself alot of time and the headache of counting on Microsoft with a reliable media player. Microsoft's primary focus is software that you pay (word, excel, vista, XP, etc......) WMP is written by the programmers for Microsoft on their own, free willing time. That is why WMP really sux. The code to make WMP work properly, with all formats, was never finished. Since WMP is a free download and a "gift" from Microsoft, who are you going to complain that will actually listen about the WMP software flaws?

Download a free universal player called VLC player. Do a google search. I ditched microsoft WMP along time ago and never looked back.

Save yourself alot of time and the headache of counting on Microsoft with a reliable media player. Microsoft's primary focus is software that you pay (word, excel, vista, XP, etc......) WMP is written by the programmers for Microsoft on their own, free willing time. That is why WMP really sux. The code to make WMP work properly, with all formats, was never finished. Since WMP is a free download and a "gift" from Microsoft, who are you going to complain that will actually listen about the WMP software flaws?

Download a free universal player called VLC player. Do a google search. I ditched microsoft WMP along time ago and never looked back.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH for Both Responses !!