BroadWave Set-up Assitance

pierres

Hello,

I am new to BroadWave, I have read most of the Threads in this section but still I am unable to access the stream on another computer on the same network:

1) I have the audio on the computer on which I am running BroadWave (the stream is operational and signal meter is active);

2) I am using port 88 and I have verified that it was opened;

3) I have validated my IP address at ipaddy.com;

4) The address I use on the second computer is: myipaddress:88/broadwave.asx?src=1&kbps=56

5) I have disabled my firewall and antivirus for 2 minutes to validate if they were the source of the problem (but same results)

What am I doing wrong or missing ?

Thank you in advance for your assitance,

Hello Pierre

Welcome to the forum.

There are a number of things it might be, but my first guess is that you should check the IP address. If you used ipaddy, it would have told you your "public" address. That is, the IP address your router has on the internet.

That will usually be different from the local IP address on your local network.

The PCs (etc) on the local network are allocated an address by the router, something link 192.168.0.10, for example. If you are connecting from one PC on your local network to another on that network, you would use the local address.

You can find out the local address by going to Start / Run / CMD, then typing the command IPCONFIG /ALL (it does not need to be in capital letters, I just typed it that way to illustrate the command). It will tell you the IP Address of the local connection. It's the address of the PC running broadwave that you need to type into here: http://myipaddress:88/broadwave.asx?src=1&kbps=56. Note the http:// in front of it - some players are fussy. Also make sure port 88 is open on the Broadwave PC's firewall, if any.

Once you get it working locally, you can then try via the internet, and you need to open the port and set up redirection on your router - but that's for another reply!

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Hello,

Thank you so much for your assistance ....

1) I have identified the specific IP address of the computer on which I run BroadWave and tried it on the other computer; still unable i.e. "Cannot display the Webpage".

2) I have validated with PFPort Checker and ports 80-88 are open on the streaming computer

(of course, I have used the actual port being on the stream i.e. 80 for the above mentioned test).

3) I have also allowed ports 80 and 88 in my firewall (in all directions) on both computers.

I would really appreciate your additional suggestions please,

Thank you in advance,

Pierre

Hello Pierre

Welcome to the forum.

There are a number of things it might be, but my first guess is that you should check the IP address. If you used ipaddy, it would have told you your "public" address. That is, the IP address your router has on the internet.

That will usually be different from the local IP address on your local network.

The PCs (etc) on the local network are allocated an address by the router, something link 192.168.0.10, for example. If you are connecting from one PC on your local network to another on that network, you would use the local address.

You can find out the local address by going to Start / Run / CMD, then typing the command IPCONFIG /ALL (it does not need to be in capital letters, I just typed it that way to illustrate the command). It will tell you the IP Address of the local connection. It's the address of the PC running broadwave that you need to type into here: http://myipaddress:88/broadwave.asx?src=1&kbps=56. Note the http:// in front of it - some players are fussy. Also make sure port 88 is open on the Broadwave PC's firewall, if any.

Once you get it working locally, you can then try via the internet, and you need to open the port and set up redirection on your router - but that's for another reply!

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Hi Pierre,

Thanks for the feedback, I'm glad your got it sorted.

As a note for anyone else with a similar problem reading this post, some player clients (e.g. Winamp) don't recognise the ASX extension. I found that just specifying http:// ip address:port/broadwave.mp3 will often work and play the live stream. This is particularly valid if you connect to your stream using radio automation software such as ZaraRadio.

Yes, there are two steps to verify connection:

1: use a second PC on the same local network segement, and try to connect using the local IP address of the PC running Broadwave. You can find this out using the command line "ipconfig /all" on the pc running Broadwave. If this works, move to step 2. If it doesn't check your port number and check it's open in the Broadwave PC's firewall.

2: connect from anywhere using yuor public address. Use ipaddy to find out your public IP address. Be aware that this might change if you don't have a static IP address from your ISP. If this works, hooray!. If not, then check port forwarding on your router.