convert "rax"

I paid for and downloaded a song from RealOne and it was in a .rax format. I can't do anything with this unless I want to pay another $15.00 per month to use their software. This is highway robbery especially since I paid for the song. How can I convert this to mp3?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

You do it in Windows Explorer.

Tools menu -> Folder Options -> View tab -> Uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types".

Now you can see file extensions in Windows Explorer. When you go to rename a file, you can now also rename the file extension too.

Guest Maria Villa

Thank You!

You do it in Windows Explorer.

Tools menu -> Folder Options -> View tab -> Uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types".

Now you can see file extensions in Windows Explorer. When you go to rename a file, you can now also rename the file extension too.

Guest Guest

I've tried decording the files, but unlike the previous person, I am unable to complete the process without freezing up. Thus, my files are not lengthy, and I have also let it run for more than 5 minutes and still no progress. Please help.

• 1 month later...
Guest l schnell
does real player play the entire file without problem? whats the file extension of your files? rax, or something else?

Same issue - I have .rax files and need mp3's, but get hung up on the decoder, even after renaming the extension to .ra. Are there any solutions - I can only use mp3 files, and need them quickly!

Thank you in advance

LS

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest chris
Just burn it to CD with Real Player and then rip the MP3's off the burnt CD.

Real Player doesnt recognize my CD Burner and I don't want to spend the money on a different one.

I have the same problem as the people above. the file shows up like

trackname.rax

apparently it is a "real player protected" file.

I try decoding it with switch and same problem. It appears as if it completes the decoding process, but freezes before it completes the saving of the audio file. Any way to get around this?

I've purchased the songs but have no way to listen to them off of real player, it is quite aggrivating. thanks for the help in advance.

Guest Guest

well i changed the extention to .mp3 in windows explorer, and it works. It changes the file to an Mp3.

HOWEVER, it still will not burn. apparently the "real audio protection" is still in effect. any suggestions?

• 1 month later...

i have same issue, however, when i reformayed in windows from .rax to mp3 the realone player was able to play the track with no problems but when i transfered to my pda the data was transfered along with the title of the track but i could not listen to it in pda with real one player...any suggestions...and also try not using the converter but do it in windows !!!!

• 3 months later...

I am having the same proble. This is so STUPID! The Artists and Recording Industry want us to pay for music yet they make it impossible for us to get it on to a CD. Like you, I am having the same problem. They want more money to have full use of the song. I paid the stupid $1 for it now I should do what I want with it! It was much easier when everyone was sharing music!! I never had probelsm then. Ugghhh!

I paid for and downloaded a song from RealOne and it was in a .rax format.  I can't do anything with this unless I want to pay another $15.00 per month to use their software.  This is highway robbery especially since I paid for the song.  How can I convert this to mp3?

• 1 month later...
I paid for and downloaded a song from RealOne and it was in a .rax format.  I can't do anything with this unless I want to pay another $15.00 per month to use their software.  This is highway robbery especially since I paid for the song.  How can I convert this to mp3?

This is what I found that works but you waste a cd so you want to have more that one song to download to the CD and then copy back to the computer.

Here's how you burn a CD in the free RealPlayer: Select the Burn/Transfer tab. On the left, click Burn a CD. Under Tasks, click Select CD Type (Audio CD). In the pop-up, select Audio CD and click OK.

Click Add Tracks from My Library. Find your music. Click Edit Options. Select any options that your prefer. Click Burn Your CD.

• 11 months later...

rax converting

Here is what I found to work with very little quality loss. I found this on another post so I didn't come up with it except for the converter to use which you'll have to purchase.

You'll have to edit your registry, but as the poster says if your not comfortable with that don't try it.

1. go to: start, run, and type regedit

2. navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Listen\Rhapsody\General

3. Right-click in the blank space and creste a new DWORD value and name it DownLoadFormat

4. Double click and give it a value of 2

5. Restart Rhapsody

What this does is forces Rhapsody to download the music files in WMA. It's still protected but!

I found that Soundtaxi will convert the WMA files to MP3 because it thinks that you purchased the music, which you did if you have Rhapsody to go

The MP3 files then can be played on anything you wish

Hope this helps all the frustrated people out there that are fed up with Rhapsody

• 6 months later...

THANK YOU.... THANK YOU... "THANK" <<<YOU>>>>

I have spent the past 3 days looking for a program that would convert .rax files and NONE of the programs I tested worked but this process did and it's really east. I have had a rhapsody account for several months and their files are in ".rax" format.

How to change a file extension, step by step

IN WINDOWS EXPLORER

1. Tools / Folder Options / View (TAB)

Under hidden files and folders …. Uncheck “Hide Extension

Click OK & the popup closes

2. Once this change is made you will see the full file name w/the extension

3. Go to the folder where the audio file is and right click a file then delete the “x” and close it

4. If you are using Rhapsody’s software to play tunes, it will launch when you double click a file BUT… it will not attempt to login to the site.

• 4 months later...