Need an audio codec? What does that mean?

Hi all,

I'm new to Switch... just found and downloaded it. We have some music files in mnd format that we want to convert to mp3 or wav for use in a portable mp3 player.

Downloaded Switch, WavePad, ExpressBurn, ExpressRip.

Tried Switch. Got an error message that the wmd file could not be converted because I am missing an audio codec. ExpressRip will eject and load the CD that the wmd file is on but nothing else.

My question: what is the audio codec I need and where do I go to get it?

Additional info: I'm running Windows XP with SP2 fully updated.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!!

Guest Guest_martiniqueeni_*
Express Rip only rips audio from *proper* audio cds, it does not extract audio files listed as data on a cd.

Regarding the format in question, all the formats that can be loaded into Switch are found here: http://www.nch.com.au/acm/formats.html. If your format is not listed there, we can't help sorry.

Thanks for your response. The mnd files came from AOL MusicNet (an on-line music purchase). They are "playable" when we're connected to AOL. The mnd file extension doesn't appear on your formats list. I guess we're back to the drawing board.

Maybe iTunes would be a better source to purchase music on line? Any opinion?

Thanks for your response.  The mnd files came from AOL MusicNet (an on-line music purchase). They are "playable" when we're connected to AOL.  The mnd file extension doesn't appear on your formats list.  I guess we're back to the drawing board.

Maybe iTunes would be a better source to purchase music on line?  Any opinion?

How do other people get their music files into a format that will play on their mp3 players? If you buy music from AOLMusic Net or from iTunes, you can't play it on an mp3 player (at least not on our iRiver or Rio). :blink: And, no, I'm not going to be buying an iPod any time soon.