Exploit-LoadImgAPI virus

flooding

Dear Switch team and forum members,

I was going to download switch from Download.com, however, I saw the post of this guy then I got hesitated. Since I don't know if what he is saying is true for not, I didn't want to risk my computer getting this virus that he claimed to "came" with Switch.

That's why I was hoping someone here can tell me if he has valid reason to say what he said, here is his post below:

(1st post)

Pros: this program works great and does what it says. but

Cons: after about 10 conversions McAfee poped up and it seems that i was make my own virus for my computer and didn't even make the .wav

(2nd post)

Exploit-LoadImgAPI is the virus that was put on my computer. good thing i had the lates .dat files on my pc. seems to be a new virus.

hope you have virus scan!!!!

seems that people didn't use that alot before they rated it so high. or they are infected and didn't know it.

information about the virus in the program.

Vulnerabilities in Anti virus products

Date : Feb. 15, 2005

It is possible to create specially crafted ARJ archives that cause a buffer overflow. This allows an attacker to execute code of his choice on the target system.

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS05-002

Vulnerability in LoadImage API Could Allow Remote Code Execution (891711)

For Microsoft's details of this vulnerability please see: microsofts security/bulletin/MS05-002.mspx

What do you guys think?

we have had several reports of this problem, but we're not sure why its happening. The problem occurs specifically with users of McAfee anti-virus software - we have not received any reports of Norton anti-virus users with such a problem (or users of any other anti-virus software for that matter). Given this, it is safe to say that the problem really lies with the Mcafee software being too over-zealous in its detection of viruses. It seems that whenever our software creates audio files on your computers, the creation of the file is what triggers the problem. Why the anti-virus software is targeting audio files we have no idea, because to our knowledge formats like wave and mp3 cannot contain viruses.

we might have to end up communicating with mcafee on this one, but in the meantime everyone should be assured we are not planting viruses on your computers.

more information about that trojan can be found on the mcafee website here:

http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_130605.htm