why only hot keys for F3 to F8? and why do any reassignments demand modifier keys?

thaivisions

Maybe this is just my system, but my hot keys are assigned as default from keys F3 to F8

Now when I attempt to add F1 or F2 OR attempt to reassign any of the F3 to F8 keys through the "Add" or "Change" functions, I just get errors

"Key has no modifier. Please add one or more modifier keys"

This (a) makes no sense and (b) is absolutely not what I want

I really really want function keys on my left hand, so F1-F4, to perform commands of my choice. Yet that seems absolutely impossible at the moment.

Is "Hot Keys" just for system-wide hot-keys ?

If so, what about assigning commands to functions just within Express Scribe, iIs that even possible? All I want is an easy way on my left hand to rewind the audio. Don't think that is too much to ask :)

• 9 months later...

I would love to know if you found a solution to this, I'm having the same problem.    I had to re-download the program and I can't assign the hot keys as I previously used them, it's driving me crazy!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

PLEASE - have you received an answer?  This is my problem exactly.  I have used Express Scribe for 7 years.  Recently purchased another pro version for my new MacBook, and I cannot assign the hotkeys as previously used.  I paid for the ability to email questions and have not yet received a response from support.