Increase track volume - already set to 100%

R.B.

Hi - 

I've created over 100 audio clips and linked them to video clips with my microphone array set to 75%. I set that using Audio > Record > Narrate > Windows Record Mixer...  - which opens the Microsoft Sound dialog.  In that dialog, on the Recording tab, I selected Microphone Array, then Properties - which opens the Microphone Array Properties dialog.  On that dialog, on the Levels tab, I set the Microphone Array to 75%.  I used that microphone setting and the Audio > Record > Narrate function to record voice for a series of clips.  I know that there are a number of other products available (such as Audacity) that I can use to create audio recordings, but would prefer to keep it simple and only use Videopad.

When I imported each clip into Audio Track 1, the track volume was (and is) set to 100%.  The clip volume setting (available by clicking the little speaker icon in the bottom left corner of the audio track) is also at 100%.  After exporting the video, and getting feedback on it, several people (with different computers) stated that the volume needed to be increased when using their normal computer speakers.  I was either using earphones or had my speaker volume set to 100% when I was listening to it, and it seemed OK, so I never noticed the issue until getting it out to others for testing.

The result of all of this is that I now have three projects with several hundred clips recorded at a low volume.  The track and clip volumes are set to 100%, and I need to make all of them louder.   I know that it is possible to edit the volume of each clip by right-clicking the clip on the track and select Effects, then use Amplify to increase the volume.  However, I don't really want to do this for several hundred clips one at a time.

My workaround at the moment is to export the project as a video, create a new project, import the completed video (which now just has one audio clip) and use effects to increase the volume.  I would prefer to not have to do this additional step.

For the moment, I am hoping to find a simpler solution.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

RB

P.S. In the future, I will record all audio with the microphone array sound levels set to 100.

Edited by R.B.
misspelled one word

Hi

Try this...(there are other ways.....Grab all the audio clips on a track ...

• Left click the first audio clip.
  • Press the SHIFT key down and  scroll to the end of the project
  • Left click the last audio clip. This will select all the clips on the track.
  • Keep SHIFT down and right click the sound track.
  • Select Effect from the list.
  • Press the Green Plus and add the Amplify effect.
  • The effect should now affect the whole track not just the clip selected.

Nat

Thanks for the quick reply.  I should have mentioned that I have tried this in a few ways, but can't seem to get it to work.

Following your instructions:

37 minutes ago, Nationalsolo said:
  • Left click the first audio clip.
  • Press the SHIFT key down and  scroll to the end of the project
  • Left click the last audio clip. This will select all the clips on the track.
  • Keep SHIFT down and right click the sound track.

If I Shift-right-click the track header, the Effects option is not displayed on the context menu (only "Close gap in track, Close gap in sequence, Close track, ... etc) is displayed in the context (pop-up) menu.

If I Shift-right-click any clip on the track (first, last, or any clip in between), that clip is the only one which is highlighted in dark blue (the others are highlighted in light blue).  After selecting the Effects option, only the single clip highlighted in dark blue is displayed in the Audio Effects dialog - see top left corner of the dialog.  Thus, this is the only clip to which the amplification is applied.  

Perhaps I'm missing a detail in your instruction "right click the sound track."   Would you be able to elaborate on that?

By the way, I am using VideoPad 4.30.

RB

Thanks very much, Borate - that did the trick!

For anyone else who's reading this, here's the detailed instructions:

1. Click the Home tab.
  2. At the far right of the Home ribbon, select the Options icon (crossed wrench and screwdriver) to display the VideoPad Options dialog.
  3. Select the Media tab.
  4. Select the Automatically normalize audio volume checkbox (it should now have a check mark inside it).
  5. Click OK.
  6. Save the project.
  7. Exit Videopad.
  8. Start up Videopad and re-load the project (or double-click the VPJ file in Windows Explorer).
  9. Notice that all audio clips are now much larger vertically than they were previously.
  10. Replay the sequence (or replay a clip or export video), and the volume will be much louder than it was previously.

RB