FastFox Not Expanding After Certain Point

Wanda Rowe

When I type the letters "ws" to expand to "was," and from every point thereafter, the letters are not expanding.  All letters I'm using for expanding words/phrases before "ws" are working/  Anyone else experiencing this or a similar issue? 

• 1 year later...

Hello Wanda, 

As a test try deleting 2 of the ones that do work as well as the WS one then try creating the WS again and see if it works, if it does it means you have probably reached the limit of shortcuts you can create if the issue persists I will recommend you contact NCH tech support and see if they can help. You can create a ticket for them here:

https://www.nch.com.au/support/index.html 

Goodluck!

• 2 months later...

I agree, there is some sort of a limit.  I probably have about 5,000 words/phrases.   My shortcuts are basically a form of vowel drops from words and Phoenix shorthand used by stenotype to create but am typing in QWERTY.. 

What I've done is I put ZZZ as my last short cut.  If I hit the limit, it will put the new word in and delete this '"ZZZ" entry, so I have to spend time deleting extraneous words or if I wrote things duplicate ways to only use one, or delete less common words.  I've taken out proper names in the dictionaries and use a copy and replace instead for the shortforms I've created as they are temporary for jobs to reduce my dictionary load.

I've sent messages to this company multiple times about this and other bugs (occasionally, a word may expand, and it will jump up about a half page and I have to undo and type the word in full in; or there is likely some combination where if I hit the space bar, it no longer gives me the space.  I end up having to close Word completely and then open so that if I hit the space bar, it will give me the space again).

I've sent these bugs to the technical support and have NEVER heard back from them, nor have there been any updates (I believe there is a beta that's been there for awhile, which I also loaded and still does not fix the problems).  I don't believe anyone is working on upgrading this program.

Unfortunately, at the present time, I haven't found a program yet that I can use to meet my needs.  I could very well have a 15,000 word/phrase dictionary by now if it would let me.  Unimpressed with this company and so-called technical support.

• 6 months later...

I have a licensed version of FastFox v2.4. I have a number of shortcuts - maybe 150. I'm finding that when I add shortcuts some of them will work, others won't. I do a lot of medicolegal transcription and so use shortcuts for expanding diagnoses: for example 'addam' for 'Adjustment Disorder with Depressed and Anxious Mood', or 'adhd' for "Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder". I also have shorter ones like 'sta' for "subject transport accident" - but none of these are working. I've deleted them and reinserted them but that didn't fix things. 

Is anyone else finding that some shortcuts work and others just don't seem too?

Lyn

Hello, 

When some of my shortcuts stop working, I press Control+C I then try the shortcut again and it starts working. If this does not work for you, I would suggest you create a back up of your shortcuts, you can do this  by going to ¨File¨ and selecting ¨Backup Data¨,  then you should reinstall the program if you need to restore your back up just go to ¨File¨ again and select ¨Restore Backup¨ then select the folder of the backup file and test the shortcuts. If this does not work I would suggest you reach out to NCH Technical support and see if the can help!

You can create a support ticket for them here: https://www.nch.com.au/support/index.html  

Good luck!

Thanks for replying Fred - no that didn't work. I reinstalled it and as suggested and that didn't change anything either. 

Anyone else experience similar? I'm reluctant to go to the support site because they usually wait three days, then ask if you've resolved it and you get stuck on a roundabout of back and forth. Last time I did that I had to go to social media to get a response!

• 3 weeks later...

i have had all my w's, x's, y's, and z's disappearing.  and one that goes before all the 1's.  i realized once i added one, another would be deleted, but i hadn't noticed til every z medication wasn't coming out capitalized; but today, i deleted a few so i could add a few, and now all my y's and z's are gone and i haven't added a thing. this program is said to be "unlimited" like their competitors on the market.  but, it's clearly not. when i figured this out, i emailed them. and 3 more times since--these are the only emails they won't respond too.  they had me uninstall, reinstall--but that was before i figured out every time i added one, one at bottom automatically deleted. today, a week later without hearing back, i noticed i have 10-20 missing but by no means have i added any entries (since i know existing entries would be deleted). 

i haven't had a problem, unless it can't keep up or i've had to re-type part of the shortcut, then it won't expand--it has also instead of expanding deleted the shortcut and not replaced it with the expanded word.  be careful that you see it expand or proof your work so this doesn't go unnoticed, i.e. hapg = happening - if i had 2 or 3 in a row, instead of hapg/happening, neither would be there; it deleted itself so it could expand then never expanded.  they had me uninstall and reinstall and it's still happening.  

there is a limit; i don't know what it is, but mine are now deleting randomly, not just if i add shortcut it deletes one, that's what i noticed first.  today, i deleted 3 older ones, entered 1 new one, and every x, y, z shortcut/expansion i had is now gone