Two Newbie Questions.....

Jim Varner

Am working on my first project and am confused on two things:

1.  I dropped several clips into the project and I'm trying to slice out small portions of each one and drop them into the sequence.  After selecting the first slice I have the option of "place" to drop it into the sequence.  In later selections I don't have that option....in the spot where "place" was I now have "view."  What am I doing wrong.

2.  I have several clips dropped down into the sequence and when I play the sequence, some of the selections play, and during some selections they don't.  The scrubber continues in the play process until it gets to a section that then plays.  I'm confused why some of my selections play and some don't.

Thanks for any input...

2 hours ago, Jim Varner said:

1.  I dropped several clips into the project and I'm trying to slice out small portions of each one and drop them into the sequence.  After selecting the first slice I have the option of "place" to drop it into the sequence.  In later selections I don't have that option....in the spot where "place" was I now have "view."

Click on the clip in the media bin prior to each 'slice' and you will see the PLACE button.

2.  I have several clips dropped down into the sequence and when I play the sequence, some of the selections play, and during some selections they don't.  The scrubber continues in the play process until it gets to a section that then plays.  I'm confused why some of my selections play and some don't.

So someone can duplicate your results please use FILE|SAVE PORTABLE PROJECT.  Upload the result to Google Drive, MS OneDrive or similar server, create a shared or public link and post it here.

borate:  on No. 1, Thank you....great help.  On No.2, the issue has cleared itself.  I notice a small green line moving left to right across each of the clips in the sequence and I assume that is a line indicating loading progress.  I think when I was having the issue I described...the clips had not completely loaded.  Does that sound right?

Hi

You can also place everything on the timeline and treat it like film. Use Split to cut out the bits you don't want and "resplice"  (so to speak) using  Close the gap.

This is in many ways more intuitive and obviates the need to reselect and retrim the same clip in the clip preview window.

Nat

Yeah...thank you  for the additional info.  I could see the awkwardness of re-selecting out of the same clip and experimented by recording a stopwatch counting up to 30 seconds so I could see how that splicing worked  and discovered the methodology of fine-tuning the timeline. Great feature.

Let me  ask an additional question here: the video I'm working on is a compilation of four or five hours of baby birds in a nest on fledging day and I am cutting out and adding to the vid all the interesting action segments into a 5-7 min show.  I had to shoot it from inside the house so as not to bother the parents doing their thing but absentmindedly left the TV on in the background and have a lot of disturbing audio there (in addition to the desired chirping, etc.) that is really distracting.  In the audio adjustments on this program, is there any way to lower the volume on certain pitches i.e. the TV commentary, yet still keep the bird sounds (a higher frequency), audible?  A big ask, I know. 

Click on a clip in an audio track and it will open in the preview window.

You can then drag the blue horizontal line downwards, to decrease volume.  Click any point in the line and drag down or up, to create keyframes.

The blue line on the audio track will echo the results, so you can see where the audio dips vs. narration.

You might also test the HIGH PASS audio effect, which may screen out some undesirable lower frequency notes.

• 4 weeks later...