Express Scribe Pro - Infinity USB 2 issues

Ingrid Franklin

OK - so my Infinity IN-USB-2 foot pedal which worked fine since 2014 with Express Scribe Pro has for the last few months been intermittently 'dropping out'.  It works fine for a couple of minutes then cuts out.  I've just spent £20 upgrading to the latest version of Express Scribe 6.0 in case that was an issue but the same thing happens. Have checked set up, Windows 10 Power Management, Device troubleshooting etc, etc.  Everything comes back - 'no problem'.  I work professionally as a transcriber so before I order another foot pedal I want to check if there are any known software conflicts that could cause this kind of issue. I note there are lots of users who use this foot pedal with Express Scribe Pro who have had similar issues going back over five years.  I would really, really appreciate an urgent and full response to fix this or at least a work through to eliminate potential problems - and yes I have read all the guidance on your site for this pedal, checked and double checked! Thanks in advance.

Below are the Plug and play controller diagnostics for Express Scribe Transcription Software (Registered) v 6.00 (Windows 10.0) as at 14th June last night.

USB device
   Vendor ID: 0x05F3
   Product ID: 0x00FF
   Revision: 0x0120
   Product string: VEC USB Footpedal
   Path: \\?\hid#vid_05f3&pid_00ff#6&296aa5b0&4&0000#{4d1e55b2-f16f-11cf-88cb-001111000030}
   Usage page: 0xC
   Usage ID: 0x3
   Model data: N/A
   Key: VECInfinityINUSB
   Company: VEC
   Model: Infinity IN-USB-1 / IN-USB-2
   Allowed: Yes

USB device
   Vendor ID: 0x046D
   Product ID: 0xC52B
   Revision: 0x2401
   Product string: USB Receiver
   Path: \\?\hid#vid_046d&pid_c52b&mi_02&col01#7&21c0253d&0&0000#{4d1e55b2-f16f-11cf-88cb-001111000030}
   Usage page: 0xFF00
   Usage ID: 0x1
   Key: N/A

USB device
   Path: \\?\hid#vid_046d&pid_c52b&mi_02&col02#7&21c0253d&0&0001#{4d1e55b2-f16f-11cf-88cb-001111000030}
   Usage ID: 0x2

USB device
   Path: \\?\hid#vid_046d&pid_c52b&mi_02&col03#7&21c0253d&0&0002#{4d1e55b2-f16f-11cf-88cb-001111000030}
   Usage ID: 0x4

USB device
   Path: \\?\hid#vid_046d&pid_c52b&mi_01&col02#7&7983eec&0&0001#{4d1e55b2-f16f-11cf-88cb-001111000030}
   Usage page: 0xC
   Usage ID: 0x1

USB device
   Path: \\?\hid#vid_046d&pid_c52b&mi_01&col03#7&7983eec&0&0002#{4d1e55b2-f16f-11cf-88cb-001111000030}
   Usage page: 0x1
   Usage ID: 0x80

USB device
   Path: \\?\hid#vid_046d&pid_c52b&mi_01&col04#7&7983eec&0&0003#{4d1e55b2-f16f-11cf-88cb-001111000030}
   Usage page: 0xFFBC
   Usage ID: 0x88

--- End ---

Hi, 

If the issue persist on both versions of the software, and both version were registered, meaning: showing a "Licensed" status at the top of the window, the case could be related to the foot pedal device and not the software, specially if the issue persist when using the pedal on other systems. Please review. 

To review the foot pedal devices that we recommend click here > http://www.altoedge.com/pedals/index.html

Best regards, 

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem. The pedal keeps disconnecting and connecting back again every couple of minutes. Upgrading Express Scribe didn't help me either. I've considered buying a new pedal but decided to plug in a gaming controler and check if Express Scribe recognises it. It did recognise it, I set it all up with the wizard but the problem still occurs. It disconnects and reconnects randomly. 

Edit: I've just tried using the pedal with some free software I found online and it works well, no issues with disconnecting. Can't use it with that software in the background though which is a big problem for me... 

Edit 2: I ordered a new Philips pedal online and it works fine with Express Scribe. Have been using it for 3 days now and no issues so far. 

Edited by waldemarpoznerowicz

• 3 weeks later...

Same problem here... I don't know for you, but it started right after updating Windows, a few days ago...  

I bought the licence, the pedal was working perfectly and is not old (maybe a year or so)... And it works when I unplug/replug, but stops responding randomly... 

Edit: just bought the updated version, same problem... will keep troubleshooting... I don't want to buy a new pedal, I sometimes work with different softwares and VEC/Infinity is compatible with all my tools... I'll contact tech support...

Edited by JulieG
update

I'm not sure, I disabled Windows updates long ago. Unless there are still some things being updated in the background without me knowing?

Anyway one day the pedal just started disconnecting randomly, not sure why. I have been using the new pedal that I bought recently daily and I have not had a single issue with it yet, so my guess is that it's something to do with the Infinity pedal. 

If you don't want to buy a new pedal, maybe try remapping the buttons in Express Scribe. For instance use the right button for play/pause and left button for rewind. I have a feeling the problem could be with the middle button (I assume you use it for play/pause, if not, my appologies). I have NOT tried this myself, it's just a thought I had after my new pedal got delivered, I have no idea if it's going to work, but might be worth a shot. 

In reply to all posts re. foot pedal, I can say that I tested the footpedal that kept cutting out on several other computers on a different network and found it also did the same on their PCs.  So this saved me having to make any alterations on my PC and I bought a new USB Infinity Foot Pedal which is now working fine.  So I can only assume after three years of use I must have pulled a wire loose somewhere (very likely actually).

So I'd recommend as a first fix try your footpedal thoroughly on another machine and if it does the same thing you know it's a hardware issue, not a software one, which frankly is much easier to deal with!

Best of luck and let us know how it went:}

Ingrid Franklin

• 1 month later...

Just dropping by in case anyone else browses this forum looking for answers... I've been using a VEC Infinity for at least four years now, and was beginning to experience similar lagging/unresponsiveness - even on a new Win10 machine with the latest version of Express Scribe Pro.

Reading Ingrid's experience here, I was inspired to consider the hardware side. Picking up the pedal, I found there were four standard screws holding the bottom plate on. Removing these, I discovered a tremendous amount of DUST built up inside the pedal! After a thorough blasting with compressed air and carefully wiping down the non-electronic side with a microfiber cloth, my pedal is much more responsive!

So if your pedal is starting to act a little old, reinvigorate it with a simple cleaning for much less than it would cost to buy a new one.

I'll try to update this post, though, if this turns out to only work in the short-term.

Cheers!

Tim

Hi Tim (and everyone else with this issue)

Thanks so much for posting this.

Must admit I had the same thought as my foot pedal was at least 3+ years old.  I'm ashamed to say I was too lazy to check this so glad you did!  Will be really interested to know if things are still working for you in a month's time.  I suspect dust is probably the culprit, at least it's easier than dealing with a software blip!

Good luck!

Ingrid

I gave my Infinity to my brother about a month ago and told him not to use the middle button as I believed it was causing the pedal to disconnect. I've just checked with him and he says I was right, the pedal works without any problems when using only the left and right buttons. So if anyone's worried about opening the pedal up and cleaning it, this might be the solution for you. You could also wedge something in between the middle button and pedal casing so that you don't press it by accident.

• 8 months later...

I have a brand new Infinity pedal and Express Scribe software with the same issue. Using only the left and right pedals works fine. Pressing the middle pedal will work the first time but then causes the entire pedal to stop working.

Has anyone determined the cause of this problem and the fix? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey all,

Having a similar issue using my Infinity foot pedal with Express Scribe Pro. I can rewind and fast-forward, but not use the middle pedal to play/pause. Has anyone gotten this issue resolved?

Also, did you register your foot pedal? Wondering if that has anything to do with it? I recall reading on the ExpressScribe website that a software license is required with this Infinity foot pedal (and I think any others that aren't the Alto Edge foot pedal). Mine is used.

Also, my foot pedal works perfectly with another transcription software on my computer, so I doubt it is a hardware issue.

Thanks!

Janice

• 1 month later...

We have had our infinity pedals and the express scribe pro software for a month and the issue with the pedals dropping out have arisen.  It fixes the issue when it is disconnected and reconnect and works for about 20 mins.  I am hoping its a software problem, thinking if the software regularly checks the license validity with the website on a regular basis, and if it looses contact with the website, it locks out the foot pedal thinking it is unlicensed.

We tried turning off the USB power saving features and even plugging the foot pedal into a powered USB hub, just in case it was getting enough power.  But the drop out still happens.

Any feedback on this would be useful

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

I have the same issue with my Infinty foot pedal. 

I know it's not a software issue, because I've tried using the pedal with several different software programs, and I get the same problem.

I just switched the button designations for Play, Rewind, Fastforward, as suggested in this thread. I tested the results for a few minutes, releasing and pressing the Play pedal - works perfectly so far.

I'll be transcribing a lot tomorrow - I'll try to update re. results.

EDIT: This worked like a charm!

Many thanks to the people who posted this :)

Edited by Bandawg
Added update

• 3 weeks later...

I had the same problem but noticed it was happening with any software that I could use the footpedal on.  I took a note from Tim above, about maybe the dirt inside; however, I had moved and had only been using the new footpedal about 6 months and couldn't find my other one.  So I opened up the bottom of the footpedal, and low and behold.  Because as a transcriber you are constantly holding down the center part of the footpedal, it compresses the two springs so that they don't have that give.  The ones on either side for the back and forward are okay.  So if you switch the side springs for the center springs you will notice that the problem is solved.  My suggestion find a manufacturer of springs in your area to get a supply of these springs as that is probably what goes the most.  They are compression springs and constantly holding them down--especially if you are foot heavy, like me--will reduce the play back and make the pedal lay flat and unable to respond.  So Tim solved one problem.  I hope I solved another.  

By the way, I did purchase the upgrade in the NCH Software -- save your money.  The problem is with the footpedal not the software!  I remember many years ago--probably when most of you were a twinkle in your parents' eyes, we used to fix our own footpedals ourselves except I had been out of the business so long that I forgot this was always a problem:  worn out compression springs!!!

Good luck folks!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Oh my!  I'm not on my own!  I've been experiencing problems with my foot pedal for around 18 months to 2 years and it's driving me insane  The noises I hear when trying to type to let me know its dropped out/in make me cringe because I hear them so often - and of course more often than not those noises cover what I'm trying to type so I have to constantly rewind. 

When I initially contacted nch they sent me a programme which I could have installed to make note of the times and occurrences so they could investigate, but sadly at the time it was too much hassle so I didn't.  Inevitably, the problem continued.  My nephew, an IT uni graduate, even uninstalled drivers or whatever on my PC - this did actually work for quite a number of weeks/a couple of months, but then it all went to pot again.  Back in touch with nch who then advised me (about a year ago now) that the problem was a software issue and their developers were looking into it and I would be updated in due course.  Still waiting.  

It's utterly ridiculous.  Whenever I email them to get an update, all I ever receive is an apology, never an update.

I also use my foot pedal on different programmes and have exactly the same problem so it can't be an issue with Express Scribe as the other 2 programmes I use are totally unrelated to ES.

Finding this forum is wonderful!  Being told by nch that the problem is global is different to actually reading it, although of course what they say can't be right in the sense that from what I've read above (and figured out for myself given I use the foot pedal with 3 programmes and they all play up) it can't have anything to do with ES, which I guess is good given that it's not cheap!

I have tried a brand new Infinity USB-2 but had the same problem, so maybe it's that particular pedal?  What do you all use?  My friend has the Infinity USB-1 and has no issues and has been using that exact same pedal for over 10 years.  I was considering buying one of those instead.  Worth a shot!

I can't get the relevant Olympus as the UK don't sell them.

I have done what Tim suggested and opened the pedal up but there didn't seem to be a lot of dust, though did use compressed air and a duster anyway (might as well - it was open!) so we'll see if that makes any difference.  Sounds like an idea to swap the springs around too if I can find a supplier, although that sounds as though it might be hard.

I'll order a different pedal I think, see if that helps and let you know!

• 11 months later...

I have this problem too. My pedal is only 4 months old. Was using it on my sister's window 7 (middle pedal working fine) but when my sister's laptop broke down, I used my own laptop, which is quite old but with Win 10 installed. It keeps disconnecting-connecting when I press the middle button. I read in the forums that assigning the play button either at the leftmost or rightmost button will do the trick and it just did. Still no idea why the middle button on win 10 has problem though. I'm sure my pedal is not dirty because I have put it in a zip-loc kind of bag so it does not accumulate dirt.

• 9 months later...

SWITCH THE COMMANDS!  I switched the RIGHT pedal to PLAY and the LEFT pedal to REWIND.  Something is wrong with the middle button on the pedal.  It makes the whole Infinity pedal freeze within seconds of pressing down.  Go to SYNC>CONTROL>COMMAND MAP/TEST>CHANGE A COMMAND>change the left pedal and the right pedal to what you want it to do.  Forget the middle pedal as it makes the Infinity Foot pedal freeze.

I was having this problem too.  So annoying.  When I would plug in my Infinity foot pedal, after maybe 4 seconds, it would freeze.  I was so mad that I broke my first pedal and purchased another one.  That one started doing the same freezing up thing.  Then I thought it was freezing because I got a new laptop and ended up f**king up my usb port in my new laptop smh.  I gave up and put the pedal on the side.   Today I have a transcript to work on and I was determined to make this dang pedal work.  I read so many forums.  I found this one and above, someone said to blow the dust out of it and that should work.  I unscrewed it, opened it up, blew out the dust.  Yeah, NO, it didn't work.  My foot pedal is brand new so there's no dust.  I blew it out, yes, but it did absolutely nothing.  I also read above that someone said change the commands.  Now, that person is a genius!  I did just that.   I switched the RIGHT pedal to PLAY and the LEFT pedal to REWIND.  It's been a breeze blowing through this transcript with my trustee foot pedal.  I knew it wasn't the pedal because it's brand new.  I knew it wasn't my laptop because that's brand new as well.  I don't know what it is that's making the middle button of the pedal freeze up.  I use Express Scribe and FTW and the pedal froze on both softwares, so I don't know what is wrong.  But I do know that once you change the commands, it will work or has been working for me.  

For anyone else who tries this method, tell me what you think.  I hope it helps y'all like it helped me.  Happy transcribing!