Express Scribe update + professional license not compatible with foot pedal VEC Infinity IN-USB-2?

Alyssa T

Hey all,

I'm pretty desperate for any advice someone might have for me...I'm freaking out! Today I updated ExpressScribe on my computer because it was performing poorly. I've been using the free version for the past 2 years with only minor issues, such as occasional freezing and lag. Today, the program for some reason was having severe issues with playback so I thought it probably just needed an update. Not so! It only made things worse. I discovered that Express Scribe no longer seemed to recognize my foot pedal (Infinity IN-USB-2) at all! Even though it had been working for the most part up until this point, Express Scribe no longer seemed to see it as a valid foot pedal--or even a foot pedal at all. The screen indicated that there was no device recognized at all. My next course of action was to buy the professional service, since a family friend had similar issues when her "free trial" ran out. I figured it was a gimmick to force people to buy the program but I felt like I had no choice, since there's no comparable transcription software out there that's actually free of charge. I purchased the professional software for $40.00 (not the standard but the advanced license). Unfortunately it appears that the pedal is STILL not recognized at all by ExpressScribe! When I open the application and go to Preferences>Controller setup wizard, it claims that there is no plug and play foot pedal connected at all, when that is clearly not the case. Even with the updated, professional purchased version! When I click on "plug and play controller diagnostics", I get the following message:

Plug and play controller diagnostics for Express Scribe Transcription (Registered) v 6.04 (Mac OS X 10.10.5):

No devices found

--- End ---

I am very frustrated because the program worked just fine with the free version just yesterday, and today it was acting up and freezing so I purchased it thinking that would resolve the minor issues, and it escalated into a severe issue where it is literally not even possible for me to use the program with this pedal anymore. This seems suspicious because this particular pedal is listed as a compatible pedal for the professional software. I plugged my pedal into a family friend's computer (she is also a transcriptionist and also uses ExpressScribe, but she has an older version of the program, 5 point something, with the basic licensure whereas I have 6.4 with the professional license), and the pedal worked on her computer. It is clearly a software issue and not a pedal issue. I have time-sensitive work that needs to be completed and I will be forced to use another transcription program if this problem is not resolved. I paid good money to have a program that actually works! I may also ask for a refund if I don't see this problem resolved soon, as it is currently a complete waste of money for me seeing as the program is blatantly not working at all for me. I thought maybe it might have something to do with my iOS as I just recently updated it on my laptop but that was in the beginning of the month. Like I said, this program was working pretty well up until today. I have no idea what to do at this point! I've even resorted to looking into other transcription programs, but seeing as I've paid for this one, if I can get it to work, it would obviously be ideal. Any (fast) advice would be appreciated.

I have just tested an Infinity in-sub-2 ver 14 and after running the controller setup wizard it worked fine on a Mac OS Sierra computer. To run the controller setup wizard you may open Express Scribe and go to Preferences > Control and make sure the check box to unable foot pedal controller is checked, then click on the controller setup wizard button, click on next and select the pedal if it shows under the options. In case the pedal does not show there you may want to try connecting the pedal to a different USB port on your computer until it sees the pedal. Once the pedal is recognized you may click on Next confirmed the device is recognized and click on Next again and do the controller command map to set which pedal performs each action and click no Finish. 

• 4 months later...

Hi there, 

I am desperately trying to find a solution to my Infinity  In USB -2 ver 14 that is not working with my Mac computer. 

I bought this device as I am newly set up in business and many companies use Express Scribe. I ordered it believing it would work immediately but it did not. I have registered my Express Scribe pro and when I went to run the set up wizard for the controller it says "Plug and play controller diagnostics for Express Scribe Transcription (Registered) v 6.05 (Mac OS X 10.11.6): No devices found". I plugged it into another computer ( a non Mac) to see if it would install and it did not.

I sent a message to NCH customer servcies who did promptly get back to me asking me with the following instructions: "to check the device is working properly and being detected by your system please click on "Apple logo -> About this Mac -> System report -> Hardware -> USB" you should see your device in the devices list".  I did this and the foot pedal was not detected. I sent an email with a screen shot which shows that there was no detection of the foot pedal and is shows that my computer is using the latest hardwarde 3.0. I then received an email today from the customer service agent saying that it may be possible that because my PC runs on hardware USB 3.0 bus there is a possibility of foot pedal conflict as it's USB 2.0 device. If find this strange as my newly bought USB hub runs on 2.0 and works perfectly fine. When I plugged my foot pedal in the USB hub it still didn't work.

I am inclined to believe this is a software problem and not a product one. I am at my wits end. I called the vendor that I bought it from and they tried their best. Can anyone out there with a similar experience, advise me on a compatible foot pedal that will work my Mac or do I need to ask for a refund and purchase a new transcription kit?

Thanks in advance 

NGI

• 1 month later...

I am having the same problem. Express Scribe 6-05 on a Mac running OSX 10.13.2. - the foot pedal setup wizard will not run - "No compatible device found" Has anyone else here seen this and been able to fix it? I emailed support, but no response so far.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi, 

AltoEdge and Infinity foot pedals work just fine on Express Scribe 6.05 using Mac OS 10.13 High Sierra, no issues on a MacBook Pro.

Notes:

1. Supported devices(Pedals) don´t work when connected to USB Hubs. 

2. For old Mac 10.10 OS, download and install version 5.88, click on the link  → http://www.oldversiondownload.com/oldversions/scribe-5-88-2016-11-26(intel).zip

Regards,

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, jessecuffman said:

Okay so I have Express Scribe Pro Version 6.05 licensed software and am running MacOS high Sierra version 10.13.3 on my MacBook Air and my infinity in-usb-2 foot pedal is still not being detected by express scribe nor my MacBook. Anyone have any suggestions? 

Also went out and spent $200 for parallels and windows 10 to install on my MacBook Air and still the foot pedal is not being able to be detected through the usb driver. NCH fix your merchandise!!! This is BS!

• 4 months later...

I have just bought a new laptop with windows 10.  I installed express scribe foot controlled.  It partially works but is manageable.  However, the problem is I also need to install another foot pedal programme which worked on my old laptop, windows 8.  The both worked in conjunction with each other so no problem.  However, when I have tried to install my other software on my new laptop it downsloads but does not install.  Could the express scribe foot pedal be stopping the installation.  I am at my wits end because I need both sets of foot pedals for my work.  

Hello VJones1,

Please be informed that it might be a conflict between those two pieces of software. You may uninstall Express Scribe, install the other software  and try to reinstall Express Scribe and confirm if it works that way. Unfortunately, I cannot advice if the other program does not work. I can give you some recommendations if Express Scribe is the one that does not work.

Regards.

We recently bought 10 Express Scribe Pro licenses using the Infinity USB-IN-2 foot pedal on Windows 10. The first one worked for a week with the foot pedal then stopped working although the program still recognized the pedal. If we unplug the pedal it will work for one press of the pedal then stop again. We have disabled USB power management.The second install worked for one press of the pedal and stopped same as the first one. We put a VEC USB foot pedal on the first one and that has been working for a few days. We have bought 10 Infinity pedals as they are supposed to be compatible. We don't want to have to buy different pedals.

I did uninstall express scribe and then tried to install my other foot pedal software.  Unfortunately it did not work so I have reinstalled express scribe.  I can only assume that the software I wanted to install, my foot pedal (Olympus), and Windows 10 are not compatible with each other.  Ridiculous when everything worked in Windows 8.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

My pedal is a plug and play and the instructions said not to use the Express Scribe controller installer, it worked fine for about 10 minutes now every time i plug it in I lose control of windows programs including word, it started deleting text etc and won't let me select anything it just keeps scrolling on the options....