"Split" is grayed out

LBacon

Attempting to trim a video. I'm in Clip Preview, I have the red bar set where I want it to begin and the blue bar set where I want it to end. But "split" is grayed out and can't be chosen. How to trim?

Prior to placing the clip on the timeline, click on it in the media bin (top left).  In the preview window set the IN/OUT points (red and blue lines).

See the PLACE button, under the preview window?

Click its chevron and choose where on the timeline to place the segment that you have isolated.

Or use the green downward arrow in the media folder toolbar.  Same thing.

Hi

You can also trim your clip in the "Clip Preview" window using the IN/OUT markers AFTER it it has been placed on the timeline. The timeline is automatically adjusted.

The long way around is to use the red cursor on the timeline to mark your cuts and split the timelime using "Split" (which won't be greyed out) ) as many times as required, removing the unwanted sections and then closing any gaps.

Nat

• 3 years later...

Guys

You are being presumptuous and arrogant. Do not presume to tell us how to use the tool in your idea of the best way to do it, let us use it how we see fit. The clip scissors icon on the main toolbar should not be mission impossible to get it enabled. I mean really? Seriously? I want to select a clip, place the red marker cursor and then press the clip button on the main toolbar. I do not want to be lectured about how to use the tool in the most convoluted way. Get over yourselves and fix it please.

Hi

"......You are being presumptuous and arrogant....."    :o

Personal insults aside , the question was.....How to trim?   Obviously the user could not, or did not know how this could be done at the time this was posted .

Before making fatuous remarks regarding replies or help that contributors and users (like ourselves) post,  please check the date of the  post. 

Note that it is   THREE YEARS OLD.   The clip scissors icon was not implemented then and things have moved on a lot.

Nat