Snapshot script not working as expected

n4vig4t0r

I am trying to write a script that will take a snapshot, then exit Debut and exit the script.

In future I want to schedule the script to run every 10 minutes or so during daylight hours, but that can wait for now.

The script is starting from the command line and taking the snapshot just fine but then it does not exit Debut or the script. 

#!/bin/bash
echo “About to launch Debut and take a snapshot!”
/Applications/Debut.app/Contents/MacOS/Debut -snapshot -source "webcam" -ms 1000
/Applications/Debut.app/Contents/MacOS/Debut -exit

{
    sleep 1m
    kill $$
} &

while true
do    
        date
        sleep 1
done

Try changing the script to the following:

#!/bin/bash
echo “About to launch Debut and take a snapshot!”
/Applications/Debut.app/Contents/MacOS/Debut -snapshot -source "webcam" -ms 1000 &
sleep 15
/Applications/Debut.app/Contents/MacOS/Debut -exit

For the periodic recording every 10 minutes, you can create a launchd plist and use launchctl to load/unload it.

Example:

1. Create a debutlauncher.plist text file in your /Users/<username>/Library/LaunchAgents folder with following contents. Where /Users/myusername/Documents/debutlauncher.sh is the absolute path to the script above

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Label</key>

<string>debutlauncher</string>

<key>ProgramArguments</key>

<array>

<string>/Users/myusername/Documents/debutlauncher.sh</string>

</array>

<key>StartInterval</key>

<integer>600</integer>

</dict>

</plist>

2. In Terminal, cd to the  /Users/<username>/Library/LaunchAgents folder then run 'launchctl load debutlauncher.plist'
3. If you want to remove the scheduler run 'launchctl unload debutlauncher.plist' in the same folder

Hi macfly, I am using Mac OS Sierra 10.12.5, I have created the scripts described and am now trying to save the debutlauncher.plist, I can see /Users/<username>/Library/ but there is not a 'LaunchAgents' folder present within this folder. Do I need to expose it by changing permissions somehow?