Bit rate to use to preserve quality while minimizing file size

Let’s say I have a WMA file that was created with a bit rate of 96 kbps.  Now I want to convert that WMA file to mp3 using Switch.  What is the lowest bit rate I can use to preserve most/all of the sound quality of that WMA file, while also keeping the new mp3 file as small as possible?  Thanks.

Without getting into a discussion about WMA file conversion, of which I have limited experience, I would just like to point out that Switch offers the ability to save at a variety of bit rates, from 8kbps to 320kbps. The obvious answer to your query would be 96kbps. And that ain't high fidelity. :)

Thanks, Vapors, for your reply.  My concern with your response (and maybe it's unwarranted) is this:  My 96 kbps WMA file is already low quality.  If I convert that WMA file to mp3 at a low 96 kbps again (as you suggested), won't that create an even lower quality sound?

Again, I don't know much experience with WMA files, but must assume you have reason for wanting to convert them to mp3 - the main reason that I could imagine is that WMA files wouldn't playback on a particular device and you wish to have files with a less restrictive format. I have no advice for working with files that have 'protection'.

As regards potential quality loss, it would seem that you don't have much choice. You are converting an already compressed file format to another (lossy to lossy.) 

The best bet, while impractical on a grand scale and not what you are asking about!, would be if you had the original 'lossless' files - then convert them to mp3 to begin with.

Anyhow, your inquiry had me do some research on things I didn't know, so thanks for that. Best of luck!