Free version is really trialware ....

KCAT

From their website :: 

http://www.nchsoftware.com/capture/kb/free.html

Is this program completely free?

Yes.

We make this software free with the hope you will like it so much you might come back and try some of our many other programs.

There are absolutely no restrictions in this version of the program.

------------------------------------

Ummm. Not true.
I installed Debut on 3-11/2017 . Used it twice to record a stream from the internet. The software advised me to use 'Fast Capture' as the best option.  Upon experimenting with the other settings, Fast Capture was the best option to record from the screen, without getting alot of 'video chop & stutter ".
Today, went to record (time #3 of using the software ) , just to be told by the software :::

"PROFESSIONAL VERSION REQUIRED   -- The feature you are attempting to use is only  available in the PROFESSIONAL version of Debut.   This REQUIRES an upgrade which you can purchase online.     Special discount pricing is available now !! Sale ends at the end of March.  Do you want to view pricing or purchase now ???  ""

So, it seemed to be usable for 14 days , the typical amount of time for trial-ware software......then features expire.    Even after getting the startup splash screen of " Certify that Debut is being used for home use " .

PS. Pro is $50 not-on-sale-price, and home is $40...but there is still no clear chart comparing the two products side by side.

Pretty shady on NCH's part, IMO.  
Just relabel your 'free version' as trail-ware and be honest about it.

Hi,

The Debut "Professional" registration gives you a full features license to use a single installation of Debut Pro including watermarking and more video formats support. 
The "Home" registration does not includes the watermarking feature, this is the main difference...

In regards the "Free" and Trial versions, these version are limited to certain functions, and they will expired after a period of time, these are meant for basic use and testing purposes.

Let us know if you have any other inquiries, 

Best regards, 

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/03/2017 at 11:34 PM, Telephony said:

Hi,

The Debut "Professional" registration gives you a full features license to use a single installation of Debut Pro including watermarking and more video formats support. 
The "Home" registration does not includes the watermarking feature, this is the main difference...

In regards the "Free" and Trial versions, these version are limited to certain functions, and they will expired after a period of time, these are meant for basic use and testing purposes.

Therefore, as deduced by many of us, there is no free version for personal use - just a very short-lived trial version.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/6/2017 at 11:09 AM, N_C_H_josh said:

There is a free version. I'll send you a PM.

I dl the free version on 17 march. The terms do not say anyting about limited duration. I  try a few tests, not knowing there are time or usage limits so I don't try to make every test count the most. I find some bugs then by March 20 I get the message asking me if I want to buy the progtam or user the free version. I use the free option then but today I do the same but when clicking record, I get a message demanding that I buy the program or enter the activation key. So where is the free for ever version?  I have not yet found the limitations to know if it is of much use.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2017-4-6 at 5:09 PM, N_C_H_josh said:

I recently downloaded the personal version. Ihave I friend in USA, with the same disease as I have.
We agreed that sending mails we would linke to send each other video messages.

Hij uses another video capture,I run my own domain. 

When capturing the USB Cam, I can see my video with speech.
But putting it on a different place, on my PC or Website, I only hear sound.

When there is a personal Debut version, why put this in a pm?

When its free it's free. Wtith limitations, I agree. But as  I read, Everthing works exept  

I can live with 

(If I don't die

Ivan

I can locally watch my video (mp4) with VLC-player. But not on the net. or embed

Now, the next day, I cannot save MP4 anymore My license seems expired.
Do I look for another program or is there a sollution.

Ivan

Edited by Ivan FLO
No answer from NCH!

• 2 years later...

I am having the same issue I see others are having.  I was using the free version and after a few days told I had to purchase.  Nowhere did it ever say I would only have the FREE version for a few days.  I'm looking all over the website for the free home download. Although it's showing up on the Google search, nowhere on your site can I find a home version download.  Now I have a finished video I can't save.  Very frustrating.

On 8/7/2019 at 8:49 PM, djsetzer said:

I am having the same issue I see others are having.  I was using the free version and after a few days told I had to purchase.  Nowhere did it ever say I would only have the FREE version for a few days.  I'm looking all over the website for the free home download. Although it's showing up on the Google search, nowhere on your site can I find a home version download.  Now I have a finished video I can't save.  Very frustrating.

Actually, I can also confirm that this is true.   I got the same warning.  Although I had it installed for over a month, but rarely use it.  I decided to give it another try today. And I got the "error" giving me the choice to either buy Professional version or to stop using the software.   I tried to submit a bug report and I was told to upgrade to 5.52.  I did this and then I was able to use the software again.  But I need to make sure of something.....

On 8/7/2019 at 10:18 PM, N_C_H_josh said:

This thread is using a lot of confusing terminology: personal version, home version, etc. The free version of Debut should be available at https://www.nchsoftware.com/capture/debutsetup.exe

If you're having trouble with Debut, then please open a support ticket at https://www.nch.com.au/support/index.html

So NCH should be more forthcoming about the free vs paid limitations of the software.  If there are truly no limitations, then the worst should be a nag screen.  If there are limitations, then a particular feature should be greyed out or a notification made that the specific software feature is only for paid users.   So @N_C_H_josh or others, can you confirm this debutsetup.exe (which I have installed) has no hidden usage limitations?

Thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 9/25/2019 at 11:02 AM, N_C_H_josh said:

A 2 hour recording should be fine as long as you have enough space on your hard drive. The free version functions as the paid version for 2 weeks. At that point, you'll be prompted to register or to continue using the feature limited free version.

i have no proble with acquiring the pro version but i had the same problem. all of us here seem to have the same issue. a free non pro version is free. a limited trial version will expire. its not us that is using confusing terminology and if you cant understand basic software license term terminology it is you who are confused and confusing. 

Free for personal use is free. look it up on wikipedia if you cant handle and oldschool hardback dictionary

limitted time trial version is a version that will expire. that is not free. its try with a countdown.

the problem is not the price. the problem is that when a company lies and then uses people like you who "get confused" to perpetuate the lie we tend to loose trust. when trust is lost then how can you garantee that were i to buy in, and then later experience a problem. I wont receive some "confused" and misleading answer from support? at this point we are "prospective clients" and you cant bring yourself down to a simple appology!!??? you have lost us.

On 4/6/2017 at 9:09 AM, N_C_H_josh said:

There is no real free version. It lets you use it for 5 files then demands you buy the product. I paid for the product and can't get anything for it.