Video Trimming

TimCol

I have just installed Videopad 4.58, and trying to get the feel of it. I have loaded a clip, and trying to trimming a section out of it. I have set the start and end of it like I have seen the video of editing, reading the manual. I right click on the timeline and it gives me Zoom menu, not the long menu with delete in it. Can anyone help?

/

/

Hi

If you want to trim a section of a clip BEFORE it is placed on the timeline..

• Select (left click)  the clip in the media list pane on the left. This will then preview in the CLIP preview pane on the right.
  • Play the clip (or drag the red cursor) to the Start of your selection and click the button marked "Start". This will darken the unwanted part of the clip to the left of the cursor and set the red start marker [
  • Play the clip or drag the cursor line to the end of your selection and click the button marled "End". This will darken the left portion of the clip and set the blue end marker. ] The selected piece of clip will be highlighted.
  • Click the "Place" button below the preview screen to place your selected piece of clip on the timeline.

If your clip is already on the timeline you can follow the same procedure but check you working are in the CLIP preview pane.

VP will automatically split and adjust the sequence line as you set the Start and End points.

An alternative method (it's longer and not really needed) is to place the whole clip on the timeline and set the red cursor to each start and end point and SPLIT the sequence at these points. Select the portions not required and delete them. Click any gaps and close them.

Nat

The video that I am trying to edit has places in the middle that I want to take out. If I understand editor right, I have to set the start at the beginning and then go to the end of where I want start to cut and place the end. That will cut the rest of the video to the end?

Tim

Sample video:

Start                                                           End

Goood......Bad....Good....Bad...Good...

As Nat says in his last paragraph, one method is to create splits at the beginning and end of each 'bad' timeline clip - then right-click those clips and delete them.  If there's a gap, right-click and CLOSE GAP.

Refer to "splitting" notes in the link above.

Hi

" That will cut the rest of the video to the end? "

No.    Using the IN/OUT markers is CLIP SPECIFIC. It doesn't affect the whole video. This means you use them in CLIP PREVIEW for selecting a piece of a clip between the markers... The highlighted section of the thumbnail line under the clip preview pane  can be inserted into the timeline using the green PLACE button. If the clip you are editing is already on the timeline the edit is automatically done by VP..........

8742d1bdef424c8e7c7d67a5ed1bf2d4.jpg

If the section you want to remove is just at the start or end of a clip you will only need to set one of the markers. The example above shows both markers being used to select a centre portion of the clip.

If the unwanted section covers more than one clip, you can either deal with each clip individually as above or split/ select/delete the unwanted portions and close the gaps produced directly on the timeline as describes in the earlier post.

Hope this helps

Nat