Videopad cannot open my vpj

Josh2901

When you save a VideoPad VPJ project file, if you used "Save project File As..." If any of the media files being used on the project are moved from their location, VideoPad won't have a way to know that and will report an error, that the file being used cannot be found. To solve this, you would need to have every media file you were using on the exact same location it was before, if you're on a different computer this won't work.

You should have saved the VideoPad project as a portable project at "File > Save Portable Project As...", this creates a VPJ file along with all the media being used in the project, the VPJ file looks for the media file in the exact same location it is located at, so the media files next to the VPJ file must never be moved away from the VPJ file.

I saved it by clicking *save project as* and then I gave it a name and saved it, but I didn't choose another type of file. Then when I tried to open it the next day it just said that it wasn'the a valid file then I noticed that it didn't have any bytes. And that is was happened.

I had the same problem, so saved the video as portable project as mentioned above. When I came to using the video converter , it says the vpj file is not supported. So what kind of file should I save the video in to be able to access it for converting, it doesn't even show up in the video file.

EXPORT your project, that's on the time line, to one of many video formats.  There's likely no need to convert.  Check the HELP (?) file, and see..

By choosing to export it, the only choice is send the file to DVD burner only.

There are dozens of export formats and file types.

Below, the choices when the EXPORT menu is clicked on the toolbar.  Click on VIDEO FILE, for example, and a box offers many formats.

VP_Export.JPG

If you don't see this then there is something amiss in your installation.  Reinstall the latest version.

• 4 weeks later...

I had the same problem - I "saved as" and then when I went to re-open the file later - an error message saying "THe file provided is not a valid VideoPad project file". THe file was saved several times and it is a .vpj.

It looks like several people are having this problem. is there anything to do to try to salvage the file?

Just in case there is some confusion on file types...

A .vpj file is data;  it tells VP how to set up and run a project.  The vpj is created from within Videopad with FILE menu|SAVE,  FILE|SAVE AS or FILE|SAVE AS PORTABLE PROJECT.  These files cannot be loaded into Videopad, nor will they play with a media player.  Clicking on a .vpj will open its project in VP, for further editing.

On the other hand, EXPORT|VIDEO FILE is used to save a partial or complete VP project in one of many common video formats or containers:  Mp4, FLV, AVI, MOV, etc. These are playable with compatible media players and can be loaded into VP's media area and timeline, as clips.  A project cannot be reconstructed from a Video file, as it can with a .vpj data file.