Pasting over instead of inserting clips

Beunhaas

Hey guys,

This problem probably has a very simple solution, but I'm new to Videopad and can't find my answer online. 

Yesterday I started editing a video. After closing Videopad and restarting it today, somehow my settings have been changed. Now I can't drag a videoclip to a certain point in the sequence without just pasting the clip over the original clip. I can't insert it anymore, it just overlaps the video (also deletes the part of the clip or the clips it overlapped). 

How can I change this? Thanks in advance.

In the sequence, move the scrubber (red line) to the insert point.

Click on the clip to be inserted.  Right-click and Place Clip on Sequence.

If that doesn't do the job...

Click the chevron to the right of the green downward arrow that's just above the media area or on the chevron to the right of the PLACE button and Place on Sequence at Cursor..

Thanks for your reply. 

The problem isn't that i'm not able to insert the clip in the sequence, it's about moving a clip on the sequence whatsoever. When I want to drag a clip that's already on the sequence to another spot in the sequence, I'd expect the clip to slide in between the clips (at the point of the cursor). This worked fine yesterday. However, now the settings somehow changed I guess in such a way that dragging a clip to the cursor or anywhere else just overlaps the clip I dragged óver the previous clip. So instead of sliding in (inserting), it just overlays the clip (which I'd expect to automatically slide over to the end of the dragged clip). So the problem isn't getting a clip in my sequence, it's moving clips without overlapping them with other clips. 

Hi

Inserting a clip is the same as...

• Putting the cursor at the required point.
  • Spltting the timeline
  • Dragging the clip to the split and releasing it.

VP will move the right hand section of the timeline to the right and place the new clip into the space created. If the timeline clip has a soundtrack this will be split as well. If the inserted clip has a soundtrack this will aso be placed into the newly created gap. The gap created in the soundtrack is maybe not what you want so.....

If you drag and drop your new clip onto an overlay track it will play over the timeline clip when the sequence is played..(It will overlay the main track) This will insert the new clip without disrupting the main soundtrack. However if the new clip has a soundtrack it will mix where the overlap happens, so you will need to mute the overlaid track. (usually audio track 2).

This method will obviously lose the main track video content during the overlay but this is unavoidable. If there are no soundtracks the insertion is easy as in the steps above.

You should be able to grab a clip that is on the timeline and drag and drop it at any other place on the timeline. VP will splt and insert it automatically. It doesn't have to be at the cursor line necessarily.

Check also that you are not dragging anything accidentaly onto the overlay track..

Nat

Hey Nat,

Thanks for your reply. 

As you stated, inserting is what I'm trying to do in the same way I did yesterday; simply by dragging the files to the point where I want it to be (in most cases; between two clips). Today, the exact same action results in not just inserting, but overlaying the clips that I intended to split. So my guess is that I somehow changed the main video track (I've only got 1 track as far as I can see) to an overlay track? Could that be the problem and if so, how do I reverse it?

So as you said: I should be able to grab and drag a clip and VP will split and insert it, thereby moving the other clips instead of overwriting them. Currently, I can't manage to just insert a clip, just overwrite it. 

Small edit: the audio tracks aren't important in this matter; I realise that inserting a clip also cuts the audio, but I can work around that issue. I can't work around overwriting (and deleting) the video track. ;)

Hi

Ok. Ignoring the sound aspect.....With say, three clips on the timeline you should be able to.

• Grab a 4th clip in the clip bin
  • Drag it down to the timeline (Video Track 1)..Don't let it go yet...
  • Here it will be shown as a light blue ghost with grey arrows on the trailing edge..........

6d886ce55c4391c6c2cbb8d7411f91e3.jpg

• You can then drag it left or right to any Start position and then release it
  • VP will now insert the clip in the selected position.
  • The timeline will split and your insert will be made.
  • It doesn't need to be at an existing join, it can be at any point.

Nat

Hey Nat,

Maybe I'm not clear enough, so I'll try again.

I know that is what I should be able to do; I managed to do so yesterday. So I know that's how it works and how it SHOULD work for me as well (as it dit yesterday), but I can't do it anymore. It seems like my settings changed in such a way that every clip I drag, whether it's from the folder or already in the sequence, just replaces/overwrites/overlays the original clips, instead of splitting the clips and placing the dragged clip in between the clips instead of just replacing the clip. 

So again:

What I want:

- dragging a clip which results in INSERTING the clip in the sequence, while moving the clips 

What I get now:

- dragging a clip (from sequence or clip bin, doesn't matter) which results in OVERWRITING the original clip in the sequence

I made a few screenshots, though I doubt I can get my problem any clearer. 

30iuxq9.jpg

The circled clip is an example. Above you see the clip, if I just drag it to the spot I want it to be, it overwrites/overlays/overlaps the clip that was originally there instead of splitting the sequence or clips. As you can see, the clips that follow the clip that I just moved, didn't move at all. With splitting, I would expect the clips to move as much as my dragged clip is long. 

So yeah, I know what you described is what is supposed to happen, but somehow my settings have changed (that's the only logical conclusion anyway, perhaps with a hotkey I unintendedly pressed or something) in such a way that clips no longer just insert, but overwrite/overlap/overlay. 

I can't make it any clearer than this I'm afraid; I was hoping this was the simplest answer ever, but if even you guys have no clue I'm starting to think of a bug. Still can't imagine that this has a hard solution. Thanks for your efforts up till now!

Not seeing that behavior here, whether repositioning a timeline clip or inserting one from the media bin.

If inserting a media bin clip, did you try the methods outlined in my initial reply?  It still overwrote?

Use the FILE menu and save the project as a portable project, then upload it to a server (DropBox, MS OneDrive, Google Drive, etc.) and link it here if possible.

Someone will attempt to duplicate your results.

Suggest also that you clear the CACHE, in OPTIONS|DISK.  If all else fails, delete and reload the program.

This behaviour (overwriting any existing clips instead of inserting) can be caused by 2 things:

1) If you have the Alt key pressed when positioning the clip, it will overwrite instead of insert, or

2) If you have any locked tracks VideoPad will be unable to move clips, and will default to overwriting instead.

I see in your pictures that Audio Track 2 is locked, which is preventing the Insert behaviour.

I would recommend

1. Unlock Audio Track 2 
  2. Reposition the clip you want (Note that this will split and move the music on Audio Track 2)
  3. Move the clip back together on Audio Track 2)
  4. Lock Audio Track 2 to prevent any further unwanted changes.

I hope this helps!

There it is! See, I knew it couldn't be that hard/would be a rookie mistake. ;) Thanks so much everyone. I wouldn't have figured out without you. I was using the locked track to make sure the audio wasn't cut with my video clips. There's probably an easier way to do that, but for now I'm golden. 

Thanks Dev... eh... yeah.