Crop & Blur at the same time. Is this possible?

ctgarvey

Hi,

how do you apply more than one effect to a clip at the same time? The only useful info relating to effects and masks is a youtube video from a user. I have crop, then blur then mask in that order. However crop does not work. I cant enter screengrabs here. Here is link to google drive screengrab: 

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B858c5PGx8JRNUdSSTBQc25hZjQ

I gotta say, i really struggle with this software everytime i come to it say once a month, to edit a video.I have to re-learn everything .It is not intuitive and really needs a proper UX review. BlurFace guy does a great tutorial, but thats all i can find. Ive bought 2 licenses but wont buy anymore if i cant chain effects.

(

HI

" how do you apply more than one effect to a clip at the same time? "

• Select (left click)  the clip on the timeline that requires the effects
  • Click the FX box on the clip in question to open the effects window.
  • Click the green PLUS to add an effect.
  • Select the effect required (e.g. Crop)
  • Click the Restraint box  and select the aspect ration required for the crop. Ignore this if you are cropping to a random size.
  • In the Clip Preview pane adjust the rectangle size and position. The clip will be cropped as you do this.
  • When it appears as you want it click the green PLUS one more and select the  Blur effect.
  • Both effect panes will appear one above the other with Blur at the top. Use the slider to adjust the blur.

Both effect will now be incorporated in the selected clip. More effects can be added in this way.

This includes adding a mask......I replied to an earlier post re: using a mask:  

To isolate the masked area (now blurred) you must remember that the unmasked area should be made transparent. If you don't do this the mask will not be seen. So you need to (in effect) invert the mask and then apply the Transparency effect to everything but your blurred mask. (The reverse would render the mask transparenty) You may find my link regarding this useful. Note: VP now has a pixel blur effect for areas of clips (only round or rectangular).

Nat

PS. If you require a moving blur then you should create the cropped blurred mask from the clip and place on the overlay track with the full clip lined up below. You will then require to use keyframes to update the mask position so it keeps the relevant area of the main clip constantly covered.

11 hours ago, ctgarvey said:

how do you apply more than one effect to a clip at the same time?

In your screenshot, I see that you have multiple effects applied to the clip. However, you then say that Crop doesn't work. This would be because you still have the mask active, so only a crop that affects the area inside the mask will have any effect. What you want is "Mask -> Blur -> Clear Mask -> Crop" (the Clear Mask effect is the button with the red X  (third from the left) next to the Add Mask button (second from the left)).

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Hi

" I have crop, then blur then mask in that order. "

The order in this case is important. If you crop first and then add a mask, subsequent effects will act on the masked area. Inverting the mask by unticking Mask inside and any subsequent effects (like Blur)  will act on the area outside the mask.

If  you want to blur a section out of a cropped frame there is no problem.

• Crop the frame
  • Add the mask and shape to fit over the object in the cropped area.
  • Tick Mask inside
  • Add Blur effect.
  • Ticking Mask inside, will apply the effect to the mask . (See above)

e.g.

6ded35d4de9b648fa64d208a7c67aaa1.jpg

Unticking Mask inside  will invert the mask and the subsequent effect will act on the cropped area

e.g.

33f588f05c0c76f782d9f2a5d80c5e08.jpg

The order here is Crop/Mask/Blur.  I am not sure why NADWW is suggesting to clear the mask. If you apply Crop/Blur/Mask this example will not work.

What are you aiming for precisely...?

Nat

Hi

The top and bottom bars will not appear in a  normal video but will appear in an image of a screen dump used in a video,or a direct video copy is made of VP in action.

In the latter cases the two strips will not be moving and can easily be removed by using the Crop effect. So do the crop first.............

• Select the clip on the timeline
  • Click the FX
  • Click the green PLUS
  • Select the Crop effect.
  • Set the AR required (See note below)
  • Using the preview screen as a guide, Drag the  top and bottom of the red crop rectangle so the offending strips are excluded.

Note: Cropping the Top and Bottom strips will alter the AR of the frame. If no restraint is used then only top and bottom are excluded. If the AR is set to 16;9 for example cropping will also crop the sides in order to maintain the AR chosen.

For the blurred area you can stay on the effects pane.........

• Click the Mask button (Small green Plus with the black dot to the right of the big green PLUS)
  • Drag the corners of the dotted red rectangle so the outline surrouns the object to mask. You can drag at any part of the dotted mask line to make different shapes. This creates in effect an "image" (or object)  within the frame. With the  "Mask inside " box ticked it will take the focus of further effects.
  • Click the big green PLUS
  • Select the Blur effect. This will blur the masked area. like the top image in my previous post.

You should now have a video with the strips at the top and bottom cropped off and the sensitive area suitably blurred.

If the sensitive area actually moves in the video you will have to use keyframes to keep the mask positioned correctly as the clip plays.

Hope this helps

Nat