Newbie having all sorts of 'problems'.

Fern49

I've been using another program for about 5 years, it was a great programme until Microsoft got their sticky hands on it, hence my purchasing VideoPad which I'm finding not as straight forward. I can't figure why when I type in the text on a video clip I can't revalue it, the same goes for any narration that I add. Please, what am I NOT doing right.? 

They should.  Once the create-text box is closed the text file should automatically add itself to the next video track.  If you have only a single video track, text will be above it as track 2.  Same thing for a narration file, but it's added below the video.

Those individual files appear in the media area (top-left of the VP window), under the AUDIO RECORDINGS tab.  Can't say why the text file is under that tab and not IMAGES tab, but that's how it appears here.

Hi

VP version 4.58. Here are the basic steps to add text.....

1. Place your video clips/images onto Video Track 1. Above this track you will see a narrow band annotated with "Drag and drop your video,text and Image clips here to overlay"  This is the overlay track where your text will appear.
  2. Move the Red cursor line along the timeline to the position where you wish the text to appear.
  3. Click the "Add Text" button on the Home toolbar which will open the text entry window and place a blank text clip in the Image bin and also at the red cursor position on the overlay track. Note this only happens if the timeline already contains clips, otherwise the text xlip only appears in the image bin. (You can click the + at the left end to expand the track.)
  4. Set up your font/size/colour/position etc. in the text window and type in your text. It will appear on the text clip in the image bin and from now on it can be considered as an image clip.  As mentioned above If there are already clips on the timeline VP will automatically place the text image on the overlay track (Video track 2).
  5. You can now grab the text clip and adjust its position and add effects etc. like any other clip.
  6. Correcting the text.
  7. If the text is not correct or you want to change it, click the text clip in the image bin which will open preview pane. 
  8. You will see a small box under the preview screen containing your text. Click this to open the text entry window.
  9. Now simply add to the text or highlight the text you wish to change. (Press the left hand mouse button and move it over the text) and once a selection is highlighted you can change its properties.(size/font etc.) The text clip will automatically update as will the clip on the timeline.

Hope this helps.

Nat

Hi

Your post seems to suggest you are creating a slideshow and so will probably want to have a  transition between each slide. You CAN do this manually one at a time but that's a bit labour intensive with so many photos.

So... Before you add your images check their default duration time. This is found under Tools/Options/Media. Set the default image display to something suitable...say 8 seconds.

Now set the default transition duration under Tools/Options/Editing to something a bit less. ..say 4 seconds. This means there will be around 2 seconds of transition at the start and end of each image. With these values each photo will display for around 4 seconds

Once you have got all your photos onto the timeline as outlined by Borate above, click the first image on the timeline to select it. Press the  SHIFT key down. Keep SHIFT pressed and click the last image on the timeline. This will select ALL your photos.

Now click the tab on the top toolbar marked Transitions. Slide the cursor down to the Fades  option and in the next menu select Cross Fade. (You can select ANY type of transition but Cross Fade is OK as a starting point.)

You will be notified now that you have selected multiple clips. Click "Apply to All". If you have just photos on the timeline then from the next option that comes up select "Freeze clip location".  If there are video clips in your selection select "Move clip location"

You will now see that VP has placed a Cross Fade between each of your photos making a much smoother slideshow.

You can manually change any of these crossfade transitions for a different transition if you wish or change the duration of individual transitions or the duration of individual photos by going into storyboard mode where the time values are displayed.

Nat