Inventoria Not Opening

RoboCox

I'm running Inventoria 3.58 on Windows 10. I've run into a problem which I have reproduced over and over when trying to transfer stock from one location to another. On the Transfer stock window, when the 'Find' button is clicked the program goes into a 'Not Responding' state for a bout 5 minutes, then the window crashes and returns to the main screen- although the application stays up. My database only consists of 1100 items, this should not cause the Find function to crash. If I don't use the Find, the operation executes ok. Hence there's a problem with this function.

Rob

• 1 month later...

Hi Rob,

There is a major bug in Inventoria that actually causes my computer to hang after about a day and a half of Inventoria up time, After about a day and a half, Inventoria uses up all the computer's free non-paged memory (I have reported this bug and what is causing it. #ZZW-66132-864), and my computer basically stops working. This bug is worst when you have more items, it uses up the memory faster. I am a C/C++ Programmer with lots of experience in low-level Operating System stuff, and I actually told NCH what was causing it and where to look for the bug, yet the new version still seems to still suffer from the bug. Once again, if you leave Inventoria running long enough it will crash Windows because Windows need non-paged memory to work. My recommendation is to shut down Inventoria when you are not using it, this will release the non-paged memory back to Windows. You can verify this for yourself by downloading Process Explorer from Microsoft's Technet site (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processexplorer). When Process Explorer loads, right click on one of the headers (CPU, PID or one of the others), click on the "Select Columns" item, then on the tabbed dialog click the "Process Memory" tab, and finally select Nonpaged Pool and click "OK". The memory leak doesn't always start right away but as type this, I started Inventoria about an hour ago and it has consumed 50,000 K of non-paged memory and climbing (about 50 K/second). The next high process using non-paged memory is 286k and it remains static.

Gunner

Hi Rob,

A bit technical but this is part of the

Inventoria is making multiple calls to IRP_MJ_DIRECTORY_CONTROL within a matter of a second. RP_MJ_DIRECTORY_CONTROL is being called with “NotifyChangeDirectory” which Microsoft defines as “Indicates a request for notification of changes to the directory. Usually, instead of satisfying this request immediately, the file system driver holds the IRP in a private queue. When a change occurs to the directory, the file system driver performs the notification, and dequeues and completes the IRP.” Inventoria only needs to make a SINGLE request for each directory, if nothing is happening in any of the directories at the time of the IRP_MJ_DIRECTORY_CONTROL, the IRP is placed in a private queue and waits for a change event in one of the directories. Now since these IRP_MJ_DIRECTORY_CONTROL operation is being generated at a astronomical rate, if IRP’s were being place on the private queue without fulfilling the previous IRP for the same directory this would start to fill the private queue fast, and what kind of memory would this private queue used, NONPAGED MEMORY. This is exactly what appears to be happening.

As Inventoria eats up non-paged memory, every other program will have less memory to work with; if left running Inventoria will hang Windows. Windows need non-paged memory to swap memory, switch task, etc, once the non-paged memory is gone so is Windows. As Windows starts to run out of memory, Windows will start swapping memory to disk and that will slow things down! If a file in one of these directories gets updated, I am not sure what would happen when all the IRP for that directory/file get fired at once, maybe crash Inventoria?

Gunner

• 2 months later...
CAN'T OPEN INVENTORIA. When I click on it, it opens google Chrome and tells me to fill out a Bug Fix report. 
I can't open it. It just keeps not opening at all. I was using it earlier and every time I tried to upload a pic it would shut down. Now it just won't open up at all. Please advise if you can! 

I have a Mac and the version is 3.71 of the software

Thank you!

I am having a similar issue.

CAN'T OPEN INVENTORIA. When I click on it, it opens google Chrome and tells me to fill out a Bug Fix report. 

I can't open it. It just keeps not opening at all. I was using it earlier and every time I tried to upload a pic it would shut down. Now it just won't open up at all. Please advise if you can! 

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...