BSOD on Windows 10 when exporting video

Aresby

I got a problem with VP4.58 when exporting a 40 minute video at HD quality, 8192bps, MPEG format. It fails at the 80% mark-ish and really does cause Windows to Blue Screen.

The error on screen whilst Windows is helpfully "collecting data" is "Memory Management" - so is this VP, Windows or my PC's hardware?

The crash was repeated when I tried again to render the video. I don't get BSODs on Windows 10 during my normal use, not ever, but maybe VP is using more memory (I've got 12Gb installed) and finding an issue?

Anyway, the main problem is that I can't even regress to 4.48 as the Crossfade effect is different in 4.58 and causes blank (black) frames and audio jitter when I try to play it in that lower version. It would require me to go into the project and edit all the crossfades (there are dozens) to 'fix' this so I can get my video out - I've already missed my deadline so now I'm pencilling in Saturday afternoon to do something.

Perhaps I can split the project into two, render each part separately then join them back up again - could that work? Can I join mp4 files without VP?

I really need your help guys so any ideas gratefully received.

BTW I'm going to take a copy of the full folder this time and dump it on DropBox so you guys and try and replicate the error next week - but that's next week, I need to get this video out soonest!

Basically, help!!!

Thoughts...

UNcheck Use Hardware-Accelerated Video Effects, under OPTIONS|Editing tab

Clear Unused Cache Files, under the DISK tab

Update the PC video driver, from the chip or card manufacturer's WEBsite

http://www.geforce.com/drivers (NVidia)

http://www.amd.com/en-us

http://www.intel.com...)

For joining files check this out. For blue screen errors look here.

Right then, I followed your suggestions but did not install an updated (Intel Graphics) driver as I was already up to date.

However, I did check your Blue Screen link and, as per Microsoft's recommendation increased the size of my swap file (actually, let Windows do its own thing, as even though there are concerns about the page file on an SSD it would take many years to 'wear out' the cells in an SSD for the average user [not that I'm in any way 'average', of course]).

Result: success! It generated the file just fine, thank goodness, now live on YouTube.

As an even more interesting aside, I also installed one of the MP4 'joiner' utilities you gave me a link to and ran that whilst the video was exporting with no ill effect (probably because 4.58 doesn't use all available CPU). The video was 'joined' with no side effects except that there was (obviously) no transition from one video to the next, just a hard cut. But this joining exercise completed before the VP video finished exporting.

The rendered video from VP is 390Mb

The 'joined' video (from two VP-generated videos) is 146Mb.

All were generated at 8192 bps, 128k audio and a fixed 25fps at 1080p HD quality.

So why the difference in size (but not perceived) quality? Well, the 'joiner' utility seems to have downgraded the bps setting from 8192, but even VP reports that the Bitrate in the final video is just 1425kbps (is this the same thing?) and the joiner says its joined video is 531kbps - both well down from 8192 but maybe I'm confusing apples with oranges.

The raw video footage imported into VP reports it is 24854kbps which seems quite high but I'm not sure how much control I have of that (generated by OBS).

The most important thing is the final quality seems just fine.

But clarification on what the bitrate is of my videos would be useful (in the export dialog box I've always set it to the YouTube recommended 8182 kbps).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys. Another week, another video, another BSOD on Windows 10 using VP 4.58 whilst exporting the video. Same rendering settings I've used for over a year now (see previous post).

But I tried not to panic and followed the previous advice by clearing down the unused cache and deselecting Use Hardware-Accelerated Video Effects. It then exported OK much to my relief. I thought that option might be for helping the preview rendering but maybe not?

So can I ask what is that option (Use Hardware-Accelerated Video Effects) doing (apart from potentially crashing Windows). The error I got again this time was "Memory Management". Is that option going to anything to assist me considering I have pretty standard Intel onboard graphics? Should I keep it switched off? Are the BSOD errors related to this option?

It would be nice to not have to worry about this for my next video (I'm considering going back to 1.48 at this rate, I can't stand the stress!).

Your considered thoughts appreciated as always.

These are only thoughts, combined with a bit of google...

I think it's something to do with the Use Hardware-Accelerated Video Effect option, but there's a chance it's something else.

There's a chance that updating all of your non-video drivers could help. There was another forum somewhere where someone was getting a similar problem, and it turned out to be an old usb 3.0 driver overflowing and corrupting the directX driver.

There's also the possibility of the hardware (video or graphics card) having a fault.

Thirdly, there's a possibility that there's actually a bug in the code. IMO this seems unlikely, as you're the only one reporting this problem (anyone reading feel free to prove me wrong on this).

One thing the code doesn't account for particularly well is if you run out of video memory. If you're exporting at a larger resolution than the preview, you might be running out of video memory, but this is unlikely. Also possible is the video card overheating under the increased load.

If I were you, I'd try updating various drivers, and then, (if you're still getting the BSOD,) just keep the Use Hardware-Accelerated Video Effects checkbox un-ticked.

Thanks for your responses guys.

I have an HP Compaq Elite 8300:

• Quad Core I5-3470S @ 2.90Ghz
  • 12Gb RAM
  • Intel HD Graphics 2500 Dynamic Video Memory Technology (there's no information about how many Mb it has or whether I can steal some more from the system RAM). As I'm not playing games on this machine this has always worked just fine with all my programs - including VP (until now).

Reading through the thoughts of NotADevWinkWink I'll give VP 4.58 another go this week with the Accelerated Hardware unticked to see whether it works first time. Once I've published my video I don't mind trying it with that ticked again to see whether I get another BSOD. All my other drivers are up-to-date, says Windows.

Incidentally my PC is a Small Form Factor so I'm not even sure I have the option to add a graphics card of substance.

10 hours ago, borate said:

Don't know whether your situation is being impacted by what appears to be low-end graphics.  Look at this comparison of graphics capabilities.

Oh dear, talk about being bottom of the class, graphics capability speaking :(

Last night I finished editing a 40 minute video, closed the project, and then re-opened it later for some last minute changes.

Within seconds of it re-opening and me doing stuff (moving the cursor to the correct timeline clip, playing) it BSOD again, with MEMORY MANAGEMENT failure. I figured it must be my PC so I ran the BIOS memory check for the full 15 minutes but it reported no issues.

So is there a bug in VP or what? I wasn't rendering this time, just editing. As I say it crashed within a few seconds of me opening the project so it could hardly have been stressed out that that point? I don't have that Hardware Acceleration switched on any more (it didn't help me AFAIK and support guys said switch it off anyway).

The thing is, if you (dev) guys can't find this error it means it will still be in the next version, potentially (unless it's fixed by accident). Any ideas?

On 04/02/2017 at 4:59 PM, borate said:

and that your projects are increasing in sophistication.

:lol: Er, you mean I have few more transition fades where I cut out my "um" noises?

But seriously, I don't see the connection between my PC's video card and the method used to render the final export anyway. Given that I've now published 73 videos using VP and only had this issue since 4.58 (since around Xmas) and it's failed three times now, I have my suspicions. That said, reviews of competitive products (shock! horror!) also say that they get the occasional crash on 'complex' stuff (not me then) so maybe it's just hard to code a video editor for all setups and not fail occasionally.

The last BSOD, though, was doing next-to-nothing in VP (not rendering, anyway). I'm sure it will all come out in the wash and the last thing I want to do is move to another video editing product, learn that and then still discover issues. When I don't get issues, VP suits me just fine.

As for buying a new PC, before 4.58's little trick of not even using all of my PC's processing power (it uses about 40% when rendering, but 100% whilst previewing) I was vaguely considering a higher end Quad i7 machine with a better graphics card but it would not bring a big enough benefit for the price. If it could render a 30 minute video in 5 minutes that would be something but pre-4.58 I could render a 30 minute video in about 20 minutes which was perfectly acceptable (if it didn't crash, which it didn't, usually).

I will await the next videoing session with trepidation and the next release of VP with anticipation that all my woes will be gone :)

• 3 weeks later...

Final update on the Windows 10 BSOD saga: It's not VP causing it.

After lengthy investigation (crashes were sporadic) MemTest86 identified a stick of Crucial memory that was to blame, which I'm hoping to RMA as they have a lifetime warranty (for the original purchaser).

So, nothing to worry about on the VP front, I'll get this stick replaced and get another to bring the total to 16Gb that may help general Windows (and more specifically, VP) improve performance.