Problem with image timing in 4.58

hitmeister

I just upgraded to 4.58, and I'm now having a problem with the timing of images on a sequence. I've created a video with a series of images. If I try to adjust the start of an image by dragging it left, not only does it snap back to the right, but it has a ripple effect of right-shifting all the images from that point all the way to the end of the video. This completely messes up everything.

Is this a bug? Is there a way to stop this from happening?

I see an option for Video Clip Transitioning where the choices are "Generate Freeze Frames", "Move Clips to Overlap" or "Ask Me".

I don't understand what those options mean.

I have "Ask Me". It's asked me a couple of times, but most of the time, it doesn't.

Hi

"I see an option for Video Clip Transitioning where the choices are "Generate Freeze Frames", "Move Clips to Overlap" or "Ask Me".

I don't understand what those options mean."

Prior to version 4.58, adding a transition (e.g. a Crossfade) meant that clips remained fixed in position and the effect was created (in this case) by fading out clip 1 over the first still frame of clip 2 and then fading in clip 2 over the last still frame of clip 1. The total length of the timeline did not change and consequently edited portions elswhere on the timeline were not disurbed.

This method of transition however, worked very well for images where there was no actual movement but video clips would show the still frames as the clips faded in and out which was often commented on. The only way around this unwanted effect was to place clip 2 on the overlay track, pull it back over clip 1 to create an overlap it and then fade it in. The crossfade now was perfect but at the expense of making the timeline shorter and having to use two tracks.

In version 4.58 adding a transition between clips now gives you the choice of....

1) "Freeze the clip location." The transition behaves as in ealier versions of VP. The timeline is not shortened. Frames from the two clips are used to cover the effect as described above. This option is OK to use between image clips where there is no movement.

2) "Move clip location" The clips are overlapped by the required amount on the same track and the transition is made over the overlapped portion of both clips.

The timeline is shortened as a consequence and clips further along the timeline may have their position disturbed and should be grouped or fixed to prevent this. This choice produces a smooth transition without any disturbing still images and is Ideal for video clips. The soundtracks can also be set to crossfade under Options. Of course there must be sufficient clip length to create the overlap for the transition's selected duration.

Nat

It doesn't seem that this problem is related to transitions, although I do have another problem with transitions being lost, as I described in another post.

This problem occurs when I simply try to change the starting position of an image by dragging the left handle towards the right.