8 replies to this topic

#1 Aresby

Aresby

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 08:29 PM

I don't understand this: I've created a short 30 second video which consists of some text and audio narration (created by recording my voice within VP). Sounds fine in VP but when I export it (with exactly the same settings as I always have done) it sounds distorted as though it's clipping (even if I speak really, really quietly).

If I record a video using OBS and import that and then export it (as above) it's fine. But narrated audio in VP always sounds awful even though it plays fine within VP.

Using version 4.58 in Windows.I've used the Record > Narrate often and it's always been fine up until now. Using 128kbps quality, 25fps for the video, 8192 bit rate (as always for YouTube).

Anybody got any ideas? (I guess it will only take you a minute to try and duplicate this).

#2 borate

borate

Einstein

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 09:39 PM

Where are you setting the "quality" options?

Have you checked the mic level input at the Windows mixer?  Right-click the speaker icon (in the notification area) and click on recording devices.

Tested a narrated export (mp4) here and results matched those in VP preview.

#3 Aresby

Aresby

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 10:44 AM

"Tested a narrated export (mp4) here and results matched those in VP preview."

In that case I will have to experiment further, perhaps it's a 4.58 change. Remember that I do this sort of thing several times a week (narrate, that is) and this is the only time I've had a problem.

I will follow your guidance and if no luck send you the project (only 30 seconds long) with my generated output to see if you can repeat it or tell me what's going on!

#4 c_major

c_major

Einstein

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 07:29 AM

I will follow your guidance and if no luck send you the project (only 30 seconds long) with my generated output to see if you can repeat it or tell me what's going on!

Please sent the files to me.

#5 Aresby

Aresby

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 05:59 PM

View Postc_major, on 30 December 2016 - 07:29 AM, said:

Please sent the files to me.
I've uploaded the VP project (EndCardsTestNarration) and narration (.wav) files, plus the generated .mp4 output to this location: https://www.dropbox....JvpVMyQ1aa?dl=0

The audio when playing in VP sounds as I would expect; the generated audio in the .mp4 file sounds clipped. This only happens when using a narrated source, not a video input file, I've found. I'm generating the output at 25fps YouTube HD 1920 x 1080, custom quality of 8192 bps and audio at 128k (these settings have been used for the past 12 months).

Can you hear the distortion in my generated .mp4 file? Does your generated .mp4 file sound the same? I've double-checked all the microphone input level settings. Remember that I'm still recording video using the same audio settings using OBS and everything is as it always was, just fine.

#6 borate

borate

Einstein

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 08:02 PM

4.58.  The audio level of narration was low, so the original track was replaced with a normalized copy.

Outputted two video files, one using the MPEG4 compressor with 8192 avg. and max. settings, 128 bit rate, 25fps YouTube HD 1920 x 1080...and the other using the H264 encoder defaults.

Both sounded identical, with no clipping.  Here's the H264 final.  Try using default audio settings.

#7 Jack11223344

Jack11223344

Casual

• Support
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 03:35 AM

View PostAresby, on 30 December 2016 - 05:59 PM, said:

I've uploaded the VP project (EndCardsTestNarration) and narration (.wav) files, plus the generated .mp4 output to this location: https://www.dropbox....JvpVMyQ1aa?dl=0

The audio when playing in VP sounds as I would expect; the generated audio in the .mp4 file sounds clipped. This only happens when using a narrated source, not a video input file, I've found. I'm generating the output at 25fps YouTube HD 1920 x 1080, custom quality of 8192 bps and audio at 128k (these settings have been used for the past 12 months).

Can you hear the distortion in my generated .mp4 file? Does your generated .mp4 file sound the same? I've double-checked all the microphone input level settings. Remember that I'm still recording video using the same audio settings using OBS and everything is as it always was, just fine.
Hi Aresby, as borate said, it seems your output mp4 file has been normalized. Can you please check your videopad->Options->Media and make sure "Automatically normalize audio volume" is disabled.

#8 Aresby

Aresby

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted Today, 01:09 PM

Just saw the above response about my narrated audio - I'll certainly try this but I do really want the audio on the entire video normalised (when exporting and during playback in VP), so by disabling it will this cause me issues?

BTW I'm not even sure if I've got that setting checked, I'll test it out on Saturday (21st Jan).

#9 Nationalsolo

Nationalsolo

Einstein

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted Today, 03:58 PM

Hi
For what it may be worth....
Yes, the sound on the utube clip is clipped. I have just done a  short test with a couple of clips to see what I get as narration with previous versions of VP have been OK.. These are the stting I have used......

In Audio Options....Normalized audio volume is ticked.
I am using a small mike plugged into the "Microphone" socket (Pink) on the front panel of the PC
I have muted the existing sound on the clips so as to hear the narration result better.
Select Audio...Record...Narrate

Settings:-  (Default Sound In)
Windows Record Mixer
I have a Realtek microphone option but have selected the default option.
Click red button and record the narration.
The played back file sounds perfectly clear. (Microphone about 3" away) The recording level meter stayed in the yellow zone throughout.
The played back video in VP sounded perfectly clear.
Exported the video as a Video File (To PC)
Preset to Custom
File type .mp4
Resolution 1280 x 720 U tube 720
Encoder options: Compressor H264
Quality 10 (High)
Audio average bitrate 320

The exported videoclip played back perfectly clearly without any clipping. The microphone level was set up via the control panel.

Nat