Loading Files and Indexing

Nationalsolo

Hi

Just changed up to VP 4.58 from 4.57, cleared the cache and tried to load a large .avi.file.

There seems now to be a longish delay while VP loads and "indexes" the file.

I never noticed this delay before or the mention of "indexing" the clip whilst adding files. If it was there it went by pretty quick. has somthing changed?

(Or is it just my old PC getting slower. :-)) )

There is also message before this saying VP is loading all the effects icons .......??

Nat

HI Sam

There wasn't anything else running but I think, on reflection, the "indexing" message while loading was noticable as

1) I had emptied the cache completely.

2) I was loading a 4 Gig 80 minute .avi from scratch. (Basically to see if the programme did a "No play" after 2 minutes or so due to the possible Open DML limitation on 2 Gig mentioned in another post.)

BTW it played OK. :-).... and that was taking some time.

Once the cache had been updated the same .avi loaded very quickly and was ready to play on the timeline almost immediately when dropped there. VP loads my normal sized clips MUCH faster than earlier versions, and I hadn't noticed that line of text before.

Nat

Hi Sam

As it was only in the nature of a test I deleted it. Sorry.

It was simply a load of .avis and mpeg4 all joined up to make a big file and then exported as an avi to play with. . Sorry.

However it did load and play OK, but first time around with the cache empty it took a few minutes. Once in the cache though it reloaded very quickly. I don't think there is a problem. It's just I don't normally use such big files. :-)

Nat

Hi Nat,

VideoPad always indexes whatever video file is loaded (unless it's already cached the index), but it only takes a noticeable amount of time for very large / long files, as it has to read through the entire movie first.

Please note that this is NOT the same as caching the video preview, that's a separate process that takes much longer.

As for the message about loading effect icons, VideoPad generates the effect and transition icons on the first run after each installation, so that message shouldn't bother you again.