Editing the audio only, visually

Birdwatcher

Hi,

I need to modify the waveform of a movie, but I need to do it visually to make sure I do it right. So, I need to edit out some parts of the audio and save that modified waveform only, leaving the video untouched, so I can see how those modifications in the waveform apply to the video as I go along. Is this possible?

Workflow would be: watch the video and waveform at the same time to identify what audio portions must go, stop the video, go to the waveform, edit some parts of the audio out, save the modified waveform and see how those changes apply to the video.

I know I can modify the audio waveform externally, but I need to do it as I watch the video and see how those changes afect the untouched video.

Thank you very much.

Hi,

As you mentioned, you can edit the audio portion separately using WavePad, but you won't have a reference based on the video it self. You could try by right clicking the audio portion of the video(from the bottom timeline sequence), select the "Unlink from video" option, and edit the audio from VideoPad using the available audio effects...this will be the workaround.

Best regards,

Right-click each audio clip and UNlink it from video.

As you view, stop where desired and click the chevron to the right of the SPLIT button. Choose the desired audio-only track. This is where the audio excision will begin.

Continue to view, and stop where you want audio to commence. SPLIT the audio track. Right-click and CUT the clip that contains the unwanted audio.

Then review your work. To UNdo the previous steps click EDIT|UNDO or <ctrl-Z>.repeatedly.

To save the change, click within the sequence and press <ctrl-A> to select all, then <ctrl-C> to copy.

Open a new, blank sequence by clicking the + to the right of the sequence tab.

Click on the blank sequence and be sure that the red line is at the far left. Press <ctrl-V> to paste. The new sequence will be identical to the one copied.

Keep in mind that UNdo will apply only to changes made in THAT sequence, despite the fact that it's a copy of another sequence.