Clips stabilised but not replaced automatically

Lauren Greatorex

Hi,

I stabilised some of my clips. Videopad crashed at the end. All my clips were stabilised as I have the saved files under 'videos'. However, the clips in the bin and sequence weren't replaced automatically with the stabilised video (I can tell by watching both versions - i realise the file name doesn't change in the bin).

Is there a way of replacing the clip in the bin with the stabilised version without losing the edits I've already applied (shortening, colour adjustment, transition etc)?

Hi

You may be able to but it won't be to the bin directly. The first thing is to save the project as a .vpj file.

The main idea will be to replace your original clips in their folder with the stabilsed clips and then reload the project. The stabilised clips will then load as though they were the originals. But there may be problems with this depending on the point at which the system crashed. Try it for a start and see if it fails. If it does fail then try this..........

First ,copy the stabilised clips to a temporary folder and work from this. (Keep the originals as is as you may need them)

The stabilised clips will be in .avi format and will therefore need to be converted back to their original format. You can use a free program like Any Video Converter for this (or even VP possibly)

Rename the clips (i.e. remove the word "stabilised") . They will now be the same as the original clips. (But stabilised.)

Remove the original clips from their folders and replace them with the stabilised, renamed copies.This way they will be loaded by your VP project file in place of the originals. Having the original name and formatand being in the same folder they should load OK and, of course they are already stabilised. Any effects and editing you did will be present as part of the saved project, and they will also be visible in the bin.

Depending on how the crash occured It may be that the .vpj file may try to load the stabilised .avi files that deshaker made and if so the project load will fail with a message regarding the file name and folder. If this happens just replace the original .avi files that you made copies from into the folder indicated by the message and try again.

Nat

Hi

4.48 Stabilises OK here. It doesn't however change the name of the clips which may be a little misleading. If the shake was obvious you should see a difference. Check the default folder where VP puts a copy of the stabilised clip. (See below). The crash may not have helped. Clear the cache out and reload VP if the problem persists.

The latest version (4.57 just released) will stabilise your clip, replace the original clip with the renamed stabilised copy in the clip bin and replace the timeline clip with the stabilised clip ****

The original clip remains in it's original folder. The stabilised clip is copied to the folder indicated under Tools/Options/Disk/Save converted files to.

You can create your own folder, name it what you want, place it where you want and browse for it there. This will automatically change the VP default.

**** Using a deliberately shaky clip I have checked that stabilisation actually happens and clips and timeline are replaced with the stabilised version. However I have noticed that although the clip in the bin is renamed with "Stabilised" which is useful, the clip on the timeline still seem to show the original name. This not a problem though as the function is working correctly and both clips are stabilised.

Note however that if you save your project at this point and then later reload it, the stabilised clip IS reloaded as expected but the clip in the bin will have reverted back to the original name. i.e. "Stabilised" will be missing.

I think this may be because pointers in the project file will always indicate the original file name but other markers must then make VP replace it with the stabilised version. NCH have added "Stabilised" to the bin clip as a reminder that this is what you have on the timeline. It's probably an oversight that it hasn't been added in again in the reloaded project.

Nat