Transferring from cassette to computer

bookandsong

I am currently transferring mono recordings of songs played and sung into a tape recorder onto my computer.

Strange thing is, is when I set Wavepad to "mono" for the conversion (from analog to digital), when I play back

the transferred recording via wavepad on my laptop, the LED at the bottom appears to be showing 2 channels

of lights (one on top of the other) as it would for stereo.

Any idea why this would be happening?

Thanks for your reply. The thing is, they are not identical. But rather there are variances as in a 'stereo' recording.

What's even more interesting is when I previously recorded the same cassette with

the Wavepad set to "stereo" the LED's read (upon playback) with a single identical, thick

line of light; as in complete mono.

And to top it off: when I compare the two files, they sound slightly different...almost like one is trying to be

stereo and the other one isn't.

Anyone else run into anything like this?

Hi,

In that case I will suggest to use or isolate the channel that suite your requirements, the one you mentioned it appears to simulate stereo, once you save the file as stereo, right click the audio waves, select Split > Split into component channels > and save as a new file (using File > Save file as...) the channel that simulates stereo. Remember that you are recording from a cassette player - mono tape, with this being said, even though you changed or edit to stereo some inconsistencies may occur.

Regards,

• 3 months later...

Just remember that cassette tapes are actually four tracks - two tracks either way.  Therefore a mono recording on tape is still two of the tracks in normal use.  When your tapes were brand new the sound on the two tracks would've been more or less exactly the same, if it was a mono recording.  Over time there may have been some deterioration to your tape making a slight variation on/ between the two tracks.  When you record from your cassette player record in stereo and then if you feel like it merge the two channels on your recording to mono.  Be aware if you convert to an MP3 it will probably revert to two channels.