Any chance of supporting WebVTT subtitle file format?

RenniePet

I'm generally very pleased with the VideoPad product, am glad that I chose it last year when I evaluated several video editing programs. And this support forum has also been good, thank you.

The videos I produce get uploaded to Vimeo. They used to provide a do-it-yourself subtitling service, but not any more. I've tried to create subtitles with VideoPad and save them as a .srt file and upload that to Vimeo. This works if I remove the <font> and </font> tags, otherwise the upload is rejected. So this is a basic solution that works for simple subtitles.

Vimeo apparently prefers the WebVTT file format. That would presumably allow specification of color and placement and text formatting. So I'd like to suggest that a future version of VideoPad support the WebVTT subtitle file format when using the "Save" button in the subtitle window.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your reply. But when VideoPad writes a .srt file it does not include positioning information, like if the caption should be in the upper right corner. Nor does it save the size of the text. So then the .srt to WebVTT conversion does not have that information available.

• 1 year later...

Well, a year has gone by and I've purchased an upgrade to the latest version, and am disappointed to note that the WebVTT subtitle file format still isn't supported. This makes it difficult for me to make subtitles for Vimeo, other than the most rudimentary.

• 3 months later...

I sent a message to Vimeo tech support a month ago asking about subtitle formatting, and this is the response:

"At the moment, there is no functionality to adjust colour or alignment of captions on Vimeo."

Regardless, support for WebVTT subtitles has been implemented in VideoPad and is currently in testing. Hopefully you can use VTT after v6.01