Major loss of video quality upon exporting.

bLOCKbOYgAMES

Video_Glitch.pngimage hosting

Hi guys.

Have run into a problem with major loss of quality when exporting a video in Videopad. Up until now, i have had no issues, and the video quality has been fine. But on this particular video, I am running into the same loss of quality regardless of how i try to export it, no matter what settings or encoder options. The screenshot above is taken from the video previewer, and the preview is in 1920 x 1080.you can clearly see the artefacts.

the other thing is that my other videos, done in exactly the same way, using all the same recording software, and working in Videopad, are around the 20Gb size. But this video, no matter the export settings, comes out at around 3Gb. I have tried many different settings, including the standard ones that have always worked up until now, but I get the same loss of quality it seems.

Video_Original.pngimage sharing sites

As you can see here, the source footage does not have these artefacts in them. But they are there in the Videopad preview, (even if I set the preview to the source resolution, 1920x1080) and in all of the export videos regardless of settings.

Any help appreciated, as I really need to have this video uploaded as soon as possible! New release game and all that!

otherwise Videopad has been very good up to this point in terms of ease of use and quality of export footage. Strange that this should be happening.

Cheers and thanks for any help.

Hi bLOCKbOYgAMES,

In the first screenshot, I notice you're in the sequence preview. The clip and sequence previews cache things with a lossy compression, so that's probably what's causing the artifacts. That, however, doesn't affect the exported files (VideoPad doesn't use the cache system for exports).

A quick way you can check if the artifacts are a problem before export is to open up the preview dialog (Ctrl+U), as that dialog doesn't use the cache either (if you have many effects, playback probably won't work smoothly on this dialog), then seek to the 1:13.373 position in your top screenshot.

Do you mind telling us what export formats/encoding settings you've tried so far?

P.S. Aw yeah Dishonored 2

If some rare cases the preview might not be very accurate due to the optimization. Have you compared the source with the actual export result?

Yes good sir, I certainly have. :)

Hi bLOCKbOYgAMES,

In the first screenshot, I notice you're in the sequence preview. The clip and sequence previews cache things with a lossy compression, so that's probably what's causing the artifacts. That, however, doesn't affect the exported files (VideoPad doesn't use the cache system for exports).

A quick way you can check if the artifacts are a problem before export is to open up the preview dialog (Ctrl+U), as that dialog doesn't use the cache either (if you have many effects, playback probably won't work smoothly on this dialog), then seek to the 1:13.373 position in your top screenshot.

Do you mind telling us what export formats/encoding settings you've tried so far?

P.S. Aw yeah Dishonored 2

I posted the screenshot from the preview to give an indication of the final export video artefacts. I understand that the preview may well be of a lower quality and I don't care that much about what the preview looks like, but the final export looks the same.

To answer your question, for the export formats/encoding I have tried so far:

Preset: always custom (The reason is I want 60fps on the final video, and using HD 1080p only gives the 29 NTSC output.)

File Format: I have tried .mp4, .flv and .avi

Resolution: seeing as I am exporting to youtube at 1080p. I have been using the 1920x1080p - youtube1080p resolution.

frame rate: 60fps, with the constant framerate box checked. :)

For encoder options, I have tried both H264 and MPEG4

In both cases I have set the slider to the highest quality settings.

for MPEG4 I have left the averate bitrate at 8192 and highest bitrate at 16384 (which seems default.) for audio I have left the setting at 320 kbits/sec.

for H264 I have left the audio bitrate at 320 kbits/sec.

And props for recognising dishonored 2. Yeah I am enjoying it very much. I preordered it so I could get my vids up on youtube as soon as it was officially released. Unfortunately, I got stuck with technical issues. grrr.

That said, thank you both for the replies, much appreciated, and hopefully get this resolved soon.

The strangest thing is that all the different outputs are tiny for this particular vid, 1 - 4 Gb. Yet all my other videos were in the order of 15 - 25 Gb. This seems like the biggest problem to me. I don't know what is going on with that?

cheers again.