shift video frame up, possible?

flyinhawaiian

Hi all,

I'm trying to edit a bunch of 8mm movies from the 50's and 60's using a Wolverine movie machine, but the final product records every frame offset as shown here:

00001.jpg

There's no control to adjust this on the Wolverine machine, and I suspect the movies were recorded on a camera that wasn't adjusted properly.

Is there a way to shift the video down, yet have that lower area shift up to the top of the screen? I don't know what this would be called, so its been futile in my searching this forum and the internet!

Thanks,

Chris

It can be done in VideoPad:

1. Add the clip to the timeline.

2. Add the clip to the timeline again and overlaying (has the same timeline position but on tack 2) the 1st clip. To do so, you can place the timeline cursor at the beginning of the 1st clip, and select "Overlay on sequence at cursor".

xQN8Cfk.jpg

3. Apply Position effect to the 1st clip and offset the clip down to where appropriate, say 6.00 (percent). Now the bottom is fixed but you can see equal amount of checker board appear at the top.

OtB4f2t.jpg

4. Apply Position effect to the 2nd clip and offset the clip up to move the extra bottom bit to the top. Say if the 1 clip moved down by 6%, the 2nd clip will need to move up by 94% (negative).

KkNUXqF.jpg

Hi

Place your clip on Video Track1

Click the FX box on the clip and select POSITION

Undock the preview pane so you can see things clearer.

You need to move the clip DOWN to remove the overlapped area.

Grab the Top of the box and drag the frame down until the overlapped portion is just out of the frame.

The Vertical value will be about 6.5 Horizontal value =0

Close the effects window and the preview pane.

Now place the same clip on the overlay track and drag it left so it lines up with the clip on Track1.

You now need to move the overlay clip UP so the overlapped portion is in the space made at the top of the clip on Track 1

Click the FX box on the overlay clip and select POSITION.

Undock the preview pane so you can see things clearer.

Grab the Bottom of the frame and drag it up.

As it moves you will see Track 1 appear in the preview

Stop when the chequerboard area appears and match the join as neatly as possible.

The vertical value will be 100-6.5

The horizontal value should be 0

EDIT........Sorry hadn't noticed c-major had replied with the same solution.

Nat

You might be better off simply cropping, scaling or zooming the image, to get rid of the frame error at the bottom - unless that area contains essential material.

In that case it's possible to cut the area and add it to the top, perhaps using a graphics app or the method that c_major outlined, but this can be tedious and the splice may be noticeable.

This is a crop...

1.JPG

Thanks guys for the quick replies! Sam, that was a great idea to overlay a second copy of the movie over the top! Unfortunately, I tried it and realized that there's still going to be a missing strip between the overlay and the main video. No way for me to capture that unless I physically modify the recording machine to shift the lens up. I may take it apart and try that, but only after I get all the videos recorded to a hard drive!

Chris

Hi

"I tried it and realized that there's still going to be a missing strip between the overlay and the main video."

Don't rely on the figures quoted here; they are only a guide for the image you posted. You should be able to match the frames pretty exactly without any gap or missing strip. Undock the preview window and enlarge it. Move the main track frame down so the lower overlap is just out of sight.

Add the overlay clip and drag it up. Underneath you will see the main track image appear. If you drag the frame too high you will see the gap you mention. Use the vertical value control to pull it gradually down again.

You should be able to get it exact.

Nat

I've try the image here myself. But I've got a visible seam which does not appear in the original photo.

I'm still investigating this issue. Before this problem is solved, I think Borate's suggestion is the way to go - just crop film and scale it back to the right size. (EDIT: Actually you can use the Zoom effect).

rm5TB5Y.jpg

Update:

The reason why a seam is there was because the seam is in between tow pixels and anti-aliasing was at work. It will look much better on higher export resolution. The picture shown here was just a screen shot of a low res preview.

We do need anti-alias otherwise the position effect will look horrible when it's animated.

So to solve this problem, we will:

• Add a new effect which applies offset and automatically wrapping the video around the frame.
  • Add an option to disable anti-alias for position effect for stitching multiple layer precisely.

Hi Sam

My original thought was to use zoom but evenyually came up with your solution. However I don't get the line like you per se.

With the copy I made of the original image I got position vertical values of 5.65 for Track 1 and -94.35 for the overlay Track

2591519f09ca96ab37249bd5b42bf9f9.jpg

This doesn't show a line so I don't think VP is at fault, but there is a difference in hue between the two sky sections which makes the join visible. The lower strip (now at the top) is slightly darker.

I think that this is always going to be there whatever film copy is being used as It might be inherent in the copying device.

Nat

Hi Nat,

Thanks for the confirmation.

It could be just because you chosen the right percentage so the edge is not blurred by the anti-alias.

For the hue difference, VP can adjust it (apply to the upper clip) if it's inherent in the copying device.