Annoying feature of the Split Clip tab

Nationalsolo

Hi NCH

There is an annoying feature when one tries to adjust a clip (in this case a small sound clip) to a particular place so that it registers correctly with a second sound clip. I usually use the Red cursor line to pinpoint the spot on the track using the peaks in the audio track, and then adjust the clip. In some instances the "Split" tab that appears when the red cursor line is adjusted comes up over the "Next Frame" box or, more annoyingly, the PLAY button, and on several occasions, whilst concentrating on getting line position exactly where it is wanted, and playing over the section it is all too easy to click the "Split" tab. Its only later when the timeline is checked for synchronisation that one finds a split across it with some wanted bits left behind that were never conciously split.

4cc2e1e578c1381119692ff4dce93f17.jpg

Does this "Split" tab HAVE to appear as it is already present under the preview screen?

Nat

Hi Borate

You can see in my screenshot that the second (and IMO unwanted) "Split" button (just to the right of the top of the scrubber bar) is half over the "Play" button. That I find annoying as it remains in place when you move to play the sequence and it's quite easy to split instead of play. My argument is that we don't need it as there is a fixed button under the preview screen.

285d726b2992652f40206746c1995b74.jpg

This phantom button is always just to the right of the red line handle. I use the cursor line as a marker. If you grab the top of the line it appears. Release the line and it stays there until you move the line to different position when it disappears and re-appears when the handle is released. OK, it may not always be over the play button but it's still annoying. :-)

Nat

HI Sam

My feeling is that the "Phantom" split button doesn't really need to appear at all. IMHO it gets in the way. We have a perfectly usable "Normal" split button under the preview pane that is fixed, always visible and has a short menu of track options.

Is there a reason why the other has to be there?

Nat

Hi Nat,

We often receive complains from first time users don't know how to cutting a clip. We think that an in-place toolbar might help.

In fact the toolbar can has more then one button. For example if you drag the cursor line and highlight a section, a "delete" button will also appear. The toolbar was actually designed with more future use in mind.

Hi

Changing the height of the preview window just stretches the cursor line with it and the "Phantom" split button still comes up on a level with the play/frame/start/end buttons.

c-major "For example if you drag the cursor line and highlight a section, a "delete" button will also appear. The toolbar was actually designed with more future use in mind. "

Yes it does but in the normal display there is no toolbar/strip/band to contain it. It also obscures more as it has a red delete cross next to it. :-)

Borate's image shows that he is is working with a SEQUENCE and the display here has an additional strip at this position in which this button appears OK., next to "Sequence 1 x Sequence 2 x"

That empty band is not present if you are working with VIDEO CLIPS on the "normal" screen timeline and that's where the Split button obscures (or 1/2 obscures the play buttons. perhaps that strip could be incorporated on all the screens.

Nat