Resolving Images window is showing up blank.

bLOCKbOYgAMES

j3XteTd.png

Hi Guys. I have recently reinstalled Windows 7 onto my PC, and am having this problem when I load some (though not all) of my projects. Really want to fix this if i can, as the projects are sizable and have taken tons of work. Cheers for any suggestions.

Here is a copy of the .vpj file for anyone's convenience:

http://www.filedropper.com/blockboyaa2crash

Hi,

The "Resolve missing files" window appears when VideoPad is not able to find the files used to create the project. This usually occurs when the original files were moved/deleted or you load them from an external drive that is no longer available.

The same thing happens if we try to load the .VPJ file you uploaded for download. Please review the original files location/folder and confirm.

Best regards,

Hi

As telephony says, this screen comes up when the files comprising your project are not in the location they were when the project was created. However, even if you have deleted the files the window should show something and not be just blank. Your reinstallation may have caused a problem.

What comes up if you right click the .vpj file and open it with Notepad? As well as data related to the VP version used and formatting info, it should also show details of the files that are (or were) in your project.

If the file was just simply corrupted VP would say that this appears to have happened and would ask if you want to continue. Did that happen?

Also if the vpj file is seen as corrupted in some way VP would prompt you to load the Autosaved project..but this might not exist on your reinstalled PC.

And even if you actually had NOTHING in your saved project, VP would still load it (i.e. an empty VP)

Anyway,...If nothing comes up and Notpad also shows blank, then it would seem that this particualar .vpj file is faulty and has no data. (You suggest other project files are OK).

Normally, in this situation VP would report an invalid file.....So you may have some data there but not enough to create a list.

Unless you made another .vpj file during your editing, i.e. saved your project under another name using "Save Project As" or you created a Backup then you may have little chance of getting it back. :-(

Nat

Hi Telephony and Nationalsolo. Thank you for the replies. :)

Nationalsolo, as you mentioned, when I open the project, it comes up with this window:

8UVbHnv.png

If I choose to open the autosave, VP just opens a blank file with nothing there. And if I choose to open the original project, it comes up with the blank Resolve Missing Files window.

Now interestingly enough, the same thing happens with virtually all the .vpj files (all except one early one), not just this particular latest one one. And surely they can't all be corrupted?

Also the original data is all in the same place, I moved the root directory off the desktop before the reinstall, and placed it back on the desktop after the reinstall. So all the files should be in the correct place for VP to find them. Is it possible there is something gone wrong with the way VP searches for the files, some tag or something?

I also opened the file with notepad, and most if not all the information seems to be there:

Or4Uqld.png

Any further thoughts? Thank you for the help. :)

Hi there,

Unfortunately this was a bug with the "resolve missing files dialog" until release 4.40, where if you had too many missing files it would break. In this case, you have ~630 missing files, which is considerably too many.

Your options are:

1) Upgrade to a newer version of VideoPad (recommended)

or

2) Make sure that the files are where it expects them to be. In this case, the majority seem to be expected at "C:\Users\my\Desktop\images lets play\video graphics\"

Sorry I can't be of more help!

Hi NotADevWinkWink.

Thank you for your reply. I know that the vast majority of the files are in the correct place, as I simply removed the directory off the desktop and placed it back there after the install. So that shouldn't be the problem. There were a few files in other places, perhaps too many to be under the bug you mentioned however.

So it looks like either a very time consuming job of looking through the notepad document and putting all the other files in their appropriate places again, or getting a new copy of VP. Will I have to buy outright the newer version or can I upgrade from my existing copy? I have a legit copy, and could show the email I bought it with. Thank you. :)

Hi NotADevWinkWink.

Thank you for your reply. I know that the vast majority of the files are in the correct place, as I simply removed the directory off the desktop and placed it back there after the install. So that shouldn't be the problem. There were a few files in other places, perhaps too many to be under the bug you mentioned however.

So it looks like either a very time consuming job of looking through the notepad document and putting all the other files in their appropriate places again, or getting a new copy of VP. Will I have to buy outright the newer version or can I upgrade from my existing copy? I have a legit copy, and could show the email I bought it with. Thank you. :)

Are you sure your username after the install is "my"? It needs to be in exactly "C:\Users\my\Desktop\", not just "the desktop of whoever is currently logged in".

If the folder "C:\Users\my\Desktop\images lets play\" is there after the reinstall, with all the files in it, the only missing files are:

C:\Users\my\Desktop\images.jpg

C:\Users\my\Desktop\13178036_1701061460142806_5171050053767732734_n.jpg

C:\Users\my\Desktop\inspi\1920566_10152618473741959_1371066380_na.jpg

C:\Users\my\Downloads\WINDOWS XP ERROR SOUND.wmv.mp3

This shouldn't be enough to trigger the bug, which indicates that either you didn't put the folder back exactly in "C:\Users\my\Desktop\" or there's something else going on. There is some weird stuff I can see in the .vpj, such as 13178036_1701061460142806_5171050053767732734_n.jpg being included twice with the exact same parameters, but it doesn't cause any problems for me (testing with the latest version of VideoPad).

You can upgrade an existing key to a newer version of VideoPad at http://www.nch.com.a...ftware=videopad (this will still cost money, but it is less than a new purchase)

I've sent you a PM with a list of all the files that the project expects (without any of the extra stuff from the .vpj) if you don't want to upgrade (which is still probably a good idea).

[EDIT: Now I've sent you the PM, I closed the tab before hitting send before :lol: ]

Regards,

Allen

Thank you Allen for this reply. Just read it now. I will let you know how it all goes. Hugely appreciated.

[edit] Hmmm. C:\Users\Steve\Desktop\images lets play ...is the current directory structure of the "images lets play" folder on the desktop. I think we may have found a big part of the problem...[/edit]