USB Turntable recording options

cathcam

I've used Golden Records for a while, although never to record more than the odd track from time to time. Since there isn't a USB Turntable set-up option, I thought I'd document mine.

I'm now starting to seriously consider digitizing many of my favorite albums in full, a few every day. Looking back at vinyl tracks I've recorded in the past, I've learned a few things, but have some questions on options, levels etc.

First my set-up. I have a Stanton USB T92 turntable that I use. It's connected via a USB cable directly from the turntable to the laptop computer running Windows 10. When playing vinyl through this, Golden Records not running, the sound quality and volume level are pretty good. The USB connection is using the WIN10 specific USB Audio CODEC 10.0.10586.0 and is the latest I can find. The output is from a laptop 3.5mm to a BOSE Surround System.(yeah I know thats not optimal and I've tried USB Soundcards from cheap to expensive and they all have some issue or other).

I normally record using the GR Wizard, selecting direct phono to computer; play the vinyl at it's original speed and have GR set to the same recording speed. I have the sound recording device set to the USB turntable, the Sound Input Channel to "Master Volume"; the recording volume level is set to 8dB;

The output WAV file is a pretty accurate representation of what I can hear when playing the vinyl, same levels etc. Next step audio restoration. For this I have don't use RIAA Equalization. Although the turntable is connected directly, not through an amp, using this seems to make the recordings way too much bass; I also don't use High pass filtering - this seems to make the output seem too "tinny".

For output options, I select "Do Nothing". Normally I then use Free Audio Converter(Fre:ac) to convert to either MP3 or FLAC for storing on my NAS which is where the music gets played from. Fre:ac seems to have more options and produces better MP3 files, plus I can convert to FLAC, when needed.

Finally, I use MP3TAG to retrieve details from discogs and tag files, add album art work etc. I use discogs as the tag source as I'm slowly adding my vinyl collection there as I record it, and for new vinyl I purchase.

1. If you record 33rpm vinyl at 45rpm does it impact the quality? (this would be a great time saver)

2. For Sound Input Channel, I have an option to set it to "Windows Record Mixer" - What is this and should I use it?

3. I couldn't find a good description of how to use recording level volume (anyone?) - does it impact only the volume in, or does it also impact the volume on the recorded digital file?

I've been playing around with 33rpm recorded at 45rpm, and it doesn't seem to impact the quality, but it does, at least on my system record 33rpm fractionally too slow.

I've compared the wave forms for the same track recorded both at 33rpm, and recorded while played at 45rpm. The later causes 2-4 seconds longer tracks and the tracks sounds marginally slow. So I think that option is off the table.

• 2 months later...

I use a USB turntable as well (Sony PS-LX3000USB) as well. My issue is that it appears to records about 60 seconds of sound, then the software just stops recording. I am not sure what the issue is. I have checked all the settings and I cannot find what is wrong.

Hi,

In regards to your inquiries,

1. As you mentioned, it could impact the speed and file length, please use the same playback speed for recording.

2. In some computers the "Windows record mixer" or the "Stereo Mix" option is use to record the audio coming thru the system speakers.The recommended input channel to use is based on the device from where you are recording(External device).

3. You will notice that there are indicators under the volume display, indicating the areas of low volume, good volume, and high volume. Try to set the level so that the volume display stays mostly within the "good" volume range.

In reference to " appears to records about 60 seconds of sound, then the software just stops recording" This usually happens when there is no audio or the software has a limitation(not a Licensed version). Please review.

Best regards ,

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...