Mixpad the free version

jd1

Hi I`m a new member to the Forum, my question is when I import a song on to track 1 (mp3 format) then start recording on track two ( singing along ) through a microphone via my mixer on track 2 it stops recording after about 2 mins ,track one carries on playing , Is that because the `free for "Home Use Only" version ` only lets you record for so long or is it my setting/s ?

I`m using Windows 10 by the way .

My mixer is a Behringer XENYX QX1204 USB.

Regards jd1

Hi jd1,

This is not a restriction of the free version - it is a different issue. I haven't seen this problem before. To troubleshoot let me ask a few questions

1. Does it always stop recording after exactly the same duration or does the time vary?

2. What recording options have you selected for track 2 of your project? (eg. Are you using the ASIO drivers for your device)

3. Do you have a work region selected in the timeline?

4. When MixPad stops recording can you see if the Behringer is still receiving a signal from your microphone?

Regards,

Ben

Hi Ben ,

Thanks for your reply to my post ,in answer to your questions----

1. Does it always stop recording after exactly the same duration or does the time vary?--

It seems to vary , tried 3 times 1-it lasted 2mins 28seonds then stopped recording , The second time it stopped recording at 3 mins 02 seconds and the Third time it stopped recording after 1min 23 seconds so yes it varies !

2. What recording options have you selected for track 2 of your project? (eg. Are you using the ASIO drivers for your device)---

I am using `ASIO`

3 Do you have a work region selected in the timeline?--

Ah not sure at this stage what a `work region in the timeline is` so will have to read up on that .

4. When MixPad stops recording can you see if the Behringer is still receiving a signal from your microphone?--

Yes the microphone is still live and it shows up in mixpad as active BUT the whole of mixpad jams up and stops playing to track ( 1) above that I`m trying to sing along with

I don't have the same problem when using such as `Audacity`.

Hope you can help

Regards John.

Hi John,

A few more follow up questions if you don't mind:

1. Do you get the same problem if you are just recording on a single track with no clips on any other tracks?

2. Since you are using ASIO, then all playback should also be set to use the ASIO device as well. Is this how you have it set up?

3. What kind of computer are you using?

Regards,

Ben

Just tried using track 1 only input was microphone via mixer, it stopped recording at 3mins 9 seconds, its still showing active live input but mixpad timeline not moving, if I press the `red ` record button it carry`s on.

As far as I am aware all tracks are using ASIO however not being sure of how to tell `IF ` they are set to use ASIO ?

The settings are---

Default Sound In = SB audio Codec Mono

Play Midi using Microsoft GS wavetable synth

Enable input monitoring for AISO devices

Speakers Realtex High Definition Audio ( I using headphone output on my mixer most of the time anyway)

Computer =

Packard Bell iMedia S2885

Intel Core i5 Processer 4460

Intel HD Graphics ( on board) 4600

8 GB DDR Memory

2 TB Hard Drive

I cant really see it being a problem with the mixer because it doesn't stop recording when I use other DAWs

Hope this info helps.

Regards John.

Hi John,

Based on the information in your post, I don't think you are using the ASIO driver of your device. [Default Sound In] instructs MixPad to use the device that Windows has set as your default device on your system, and it will use the built in DirectSound drivers. If you open this pull down list, you should see a list of all the devices available to you for recording. If your ASIO drivers are correctly installed then you should see an entry starting with the text "[ASIO]". You need to select this option.

Then you need to open the main audio options dialog from the toolbar and set your playback device is also set to use the same ASIO device as you are recording from.

Let me know how this goes.

Regards,

Ben

Hi Again (15 mins later)

further info that just appeared--------

QUOTE ----Your playback device is set to use ASIO

QUOTE-----Your Recording device is set to use DS/MMS

Does that shed anymore light on the problem ,not got the time just now to change settings

but thought that might help.