matching sound on narrative

calfoncalf

Hi

This may be due to the time taken for "Narration" to register within VP or the PC as you are creating a new .wav audio file and the process is not instantaneous. If this is the case the delay should be pretty constant. You should be able to drag it back to the required position so it synchronises correctly.

Nat

Hi

I have checked this out and calf on calf is correct. The audi0 added using (at least Narration) does not synch with the visuals.

I set up 11 text image clips "0"..........> "10" each with a duration of 1 second and exported it as an .avi

On reloading it to VP it played OK, counting up from 0 to 10. As it now had a silent audio track, this was unlinked and deleted.

Using the Record narration option I made regular taps on the mic exactly in time with the count on the screen.

The "My Audio" .wav was automatically placed in the audio bin and also copied to Audio track 1.

This did NOT synch with the counts being about 1/2 sec too late.

As suggested this is probably be due to the sound file having to be generated in real time and consequently causing a delay with respect to the video track.

The answer to this is to add a blank frame to the start of the visuals and then drag the unlinked voice recording back 1/2 second and so into synch.

After relinking the audio tracks the sequence can then be trimmed.

Nat

Nat

I've tried but hardly notice any delay. It could be an audio driver related problem.

Please try this:

1. Make a continuous loud sound or play some music and keep it going before you press the record button.
  2. Press the record button while the sound/music still playing
  3. Stop recording see if there are any silence at the beginning of the recording (which shouldn't)

The testing is not a suggestion. It is to find out if like Nat pointed out, the software delayed because generating the sound samples, there will be the equal amount of silence at the beginning of the recording.

If a loud and continuous sound is playing when the recording begins we can easily spot that silence and know how long it is.

In my own testing, there are nearly no silence at the beginning of the recording.

Hi

Sam's test showed that the continuous sound started recording with no delay....

7062f4a56043fe169a3887130362ff59.jpg

Nevertheless, when using Narration the vocal "counts" registered against the Narration preview screen video show a definite delay of about 0.4 seconds...

(Ignore the thumbnail positions as they are not relevant to the discussion.) The reference points are the timing line marks. The the video displayed numbers a exactly one second intervals....

8498ee001026fe3d3d8282227d3f8d50.jpg

Is this delay connected to the fact that the audio is being generated against the Narration preview image?

In practice, IMHO narration per se is seldom required to be added with such precision (sound effect addition using the narration feature is another matter) so in most respects (apart from calfoncalf's application) it is only academic. All the same interesting. :-)

Nat

Hi Nat,

Thanks for the testing.

I think I've fingered out what happened. The recording was started right after you press the record button, but the video playback takes sometime to start (depends on the speed of the computer and the complexity of the video). Therefore some extra recording was recorded before the video playback actually started.

I've filed a bug for it and it will be fixed for next release. For now you can trim out the extra sound at the beginning by setting the in point of the sound clip.