WavePad DELETED all my MP3s withOUT my permission!!

Vellora

Hi all.

I don't know what has happened but WP has just deleted ALL of my files ending with ".mp3" (doesn't matter what file name) in the same folder as the MP3 file I'm trying to load.

Let me tell you what I did and what happened.

In a folder I have a few MP3 files, and I right-clicked on one and clicked "Edit with WavePad Sound Editor", so WP was launched and the MP3 was loaded.

Then I went back into the folder and right-clicked on another MP3 file and clicked the same thing ("Edit with WavePad Sound Editor").

IMMEDIATELY after I clicked that, I heard an error sound made by WP, then ALL my MP3 files in that same folder disappeared immediately, and WP's error message was "File not found" (with the file name of that second MP3 file I was trying to load).

It didn't matter what the names of those MP3 files were, and whether they had the same audio, they ALL disappeared (in that folder only).

And I couldn't find where they are, so I think they were simply deleted. (I didn't check with a recover-deleted-file tool though.)

After it happened I decided to do some testing and see whether this problem could be replicated without fail.

And replicated it could, and without fail it was. :mellow:

For the purpose of the test I copied 3 MP3 files into another folder with some other files (but not MP3 files). All 3 of the MP3 files had different names and different audio in them.

I right-clicked and loaded 1 MP3 file the same way like I did before, and WP was launched and the file was loaded.

I right-clicked and tried to load another MP3 file and the same thing happened!! All 3 MP3 files disappeared (but non-MP3 files all remained).

It didn't matter which file I tried to load the first time and second time (sequence didn't matter). It happened every time.

One strange thing was that when I tried to load the second MP3 file, WP tried to access the Internet and tried to install-on-demand this thing called "soxdec", and then my system would try to execute "soxdec.exe". (I have a firewall and a HIPS so I knew what WP was doing.) Regardless of whether I allowed WP to or denied WP from doing that, all my MP3 files in the same folder disappeared anyway.

Please someone tell me what's happening.

P.S.

The WP version I'm using is 6.24.

• 2 weeks later...