clips replaced gaps in video

kahielsch

Hello!

I'm new here, though I've used VideoPad along the years with more or less succsess.

In my current project I want to replace some clips with the wrong resolution with corrected clips in the right resolution. I simply renamed the corrected ones, saved them in the same folder and restarted the project. The project did replace the old clips with the new ones (with the former names) but now I've got gaps and when I zoom into the timeline to close the gaps the timeline shuts down. Is there a proper way to replace one clip (in wrong resolution) with right clip (in correct resolution)?

Other than gaps I've got the problem of lingering images, short leftovers from cutting a clip, so short that they show only in the exported video. My problem there is, that I cannot zoom into the timeline properly (because the program will freeze). My cutting is scruffy therefore and I have to deal with those leftover images.

Thank you so much for your help, I'm looking forward for any helpful comments and/or questions.

Regards, Karin

Do you have adequate unused disk space? In Windows file manager right-click the C: drive and click PROPERTIES|DISK CLEANUP.

You might also clear the Videopad cache, to ensure there's no corruption. OPTIONS|DISK tab.

Are you running the latest VP version.

To find exact split points, which should help avoid leftover snippets, click the GO TO EDGE icons ||< and >|| . They're below the preview screen.

Hi

Replacing the clips as you have done is OK provided they have the same name and are in the same folder and the old ones are removed. Not sure how the resolution will affect the timeline I wouldn't have thought it would as I think VP converts them anyway, but the the replacements should have the same duration.

With regards to "bits" and "gaps"...Instead of trying to zoom in on the timeline to find any gaps or tiny bits of clips which may be very narrow, switch to storyboard mode. Use the slider bar under the track to move the thumbnails left or right. Any gaps, no matter how narrow, or any clip fragments on the timeline will now be visible as full size frames or as blank thumbnails with a blue double headed arrow showing their duration. Simply select these to delete or if they are a gap right click on these and "Close the Gap"

If you are careful when you split clips you shouldn't get small bits left over but Storyboard will easily allow to see them.

Nat

Hi!

Many thanks for your suggestions. I' ll try both!

I will cleanup cache and properties. And I will use the storyboard and search for snippets. (They occur however carefully I do the cutting.) I simply had forgotten that I used the storyboard for this purpose in another project and it helped a lot!

Regards, Karin

Hi

"They occur however carefully I do the cutting."

Just a little additional info.

The shortest clip you can make (or get) on the timeline by using the split option is 0.025 seconds duration which is 1 frame on the timeline which may be difficult to see.

In Storyboard mode this will expand to one thumbnail so it can be easily deleted.

If you are editing to such fine limits and want to avoid these bits it might be better to edit the clip in the Clip preview window......

Click the clip to edit and switch to Clip preview .

Move the preview screen red cursor line to the exact edit point (use frame by frame movement if necessary) and then click the IN marker START button. This will "cut" the clip exactly where you want it to start from.(The cut off section will go dark)

Move the cursor along to the end edit point..using frame by frame adjustment if necessary and then click the OUT marker END button.

This will isolate exactly the section you want to keep. To see it more clearly you can "undock" the preview window by clicking the top right hand corner

(Suggestions have been made to NCH to put the the IN/OUT markers at the top edge of the thumbnail track so they are more easily visible and don't obscure the cursor line handle.)

If the clip is already on the timeline it will be automatically trimmed and any gaps deleted. If not, and you are editing the clip from the media list bin then clicking the down arrow next to the Place button under the Clip preview screen will put the edited clip at a position of your choice.

Using this approach should avoid you getting bits of clips left on the timeline.

Nat