VP 4.48 stabilize behaviour change after reloading VP 2.41 for a short time

Nationalsolo

Hi NCH

Following a query in an earlier post regarding the way 4.48 overwrites the sequence clip and the bin clip with the stabilized clip but without doing a name change........

http://nch.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/23848-stabilization-copy-name/

..... yesterday I opened VP 2.41 to check on a certain feature by simply double clicking on the setup.exe file which is what I normally do. After checking it out I reloaded 4.48 by again, double clicking its setup.exe file.

VP 4.48 duly reloaded (Professional licensed version). I carried on editing some old Super 8 film copies and now have just noticed that the stabilization feature is (to my way of thinking) working the way I suggested in my earlier post.

I can select a clip from the media bin which is already on the sequence line and stabilize it. A copy marked -stabilize is placed in the output folder (in fact I find I get 2 stabilized copies!) Another copy, properly marked "-stabilized" is placed in the media bin. The sequence line clip is not replaced and remains in the bin marked with the green tick and nothing is overwritten.

Previous to reloading 2.41 the sequence clip and the bin clip were replaced with the stabilized clip without prompting and without being renamed (although the copy in the output folder was renamed) and this made it difficult see what clips had been stabilized.

NOTE This is NOT a complaint :-)) as this aspect of VP is now working the way I want....I just wondered why this has happened.

I didn't delete any NHC files before loading 2.41 or when I returned to 4.48......just clicked the setp.exe file each time........and why 2 copies marked xxxx-stabilized in the output folder? (Converting does run twice I noticed.)

Nat

Hi

Even more strange....I tested this out using an .avi clip from a philips Vesta pro webcam loaded to the video clip bin. A stabilized copy was made to the download folder with the -stabilized name addition and it was also placed in the video bin along with the original unstabilized clip.There was no ovewrwriting or replacing in the bin and neither was the original clip on the timeline overwritten. There were however, two passes of the stabilising action for some reason and two copies placed in the download folder. (not a problem).

I was quite happy with these actions as I could see at a glance which of the clips in the bin had been stabilized and which was on the sequence line.

However, I then checked it out with an mpeg clip and this behaved quite differently...The stabilized clip was placed (once) in the download folder with the appended name but both bin file and timeline were overwritten without a name change. (i.e. after all the action the VP main screen looked identical to before except that you couldn't tell the clip had been stabilized.

Sam has replied re this but I am wondering why the .avi behaved as it did (as with earlier versions of VP and as I wanted) whilst the mpeg clip got overwritten. I'll see what happens with the avi produced from the stabilization .......

Later... Hmm The renamed stabilized .avi overwrites the bin clip and the timeline without name change, just like the mpeg.

But I also checked a different .avi from the webcam....It renames a new clip (twice), puts it in the bin along with the original and doesn't overwrite anything. So it probably has nothing to do with having loaded VP2.41 previously and is connected to the actual source of the avi. But why?

Nat