Stabilization copy name

Nationalsolo

Hi NCH

Stabilization works very well and I am currently using it a lot when copying old super 8 videos, but formally stabilized clips were copied to the output folder with the original name plus the word "stabilized" added on and one could review it and decide whether to use it or not.

In VP 4.48 The stabilized clip is now saved with the same name to the output folder and the clip in VP is replaced automatically with the stabilized one. There is no indication however in the clip bin that the clip has been treated, so it is difficult to determine which of the bin clips are the treated ones. It would be nice to keep them both in the bin. Am I correct in this or is there a setting to change so as to keep both files separate.

Nat

I see, the clip in the bin was replace with the new file. I've traced the history the change was made about a year ago. We removed the "replace or not" option to simplify the editing.

We'll add "Stabilized" to the clip name to indicates the video was stabilized.

Thanks,

Hi Sam

Thanks for your reply. After checking a little more I can happily concede that you are correct in saying that a copy is made of the stabilized file with the addition of "-stabilized"

I originally couldn't find it as I had forgotten that I had changed the destination folder for these - I used to use the desktop. (Doh!) So that part is OK.

However there is still a problem... The original unstabilized clip that was loaded to the clip bin IS replaced by the stabilized version without prompting and moreover it retains the original name..... "-stabilized" is not added! I don't think think this should happen at all...see below...

To check this behaviour....

Load a suitable clip to VP e.g. "Shaky.avi" but make a copy "Shaky-copy.avi" and load that as well.

Stabilize "Shaky.avi"

After conversion you will see the "Shaky.avi" bin clip reload. Presumably being overwritten. BUT... It will retain it's original name so you can't distinguish that it has been changed. This is a mistake as it really ought not to do this. In effect you lose the original clip from the bin which shouldn't happen. Also as editor, the decision to overwrite a clip should be left to the user.

Looking in the default destination folder you should find "Shaky-stabilized" as you correctly say. :-)

In order to see that this overwrite has been made you can now compare the clips in the bin by placing them on the timeline....you will see that "Shaky" and it's copy are no longer the same......"Shaky" has been stabilized.

I feel what should happen is that the stabilzed clip (with its new name) should be placed in the bin as a separate clip and that the original clip is not overwritten. It would be quite easy to make the replacement directly on the timeline after reviewing both clips.

This test was done before anything was placed on the timeline but the same thing happens If the clip in question is already there, it also is replaced on the timeline.

Nat

Hi Nat,

Yes, it is a bit confusing the clip name didn't change while the file is changed. Otherwise I think it's intuitive - right click on the clip and choose stabilize meaning that the clip will be stabilized.

We consider the cases that the user wants to keep the shaky original clip is rare. If original clip is needed you can copy the clip and stabilize the copy.

Users might also want to replace existing instance on the timeline. It would be awkward to do that if the stabilized clip is a new clip.

Hi Sam

OK, on reflection I agree with you on the points you made. It's just something I noticed that I found a bit inconsistent.

If the name in the clip bin doesn't change (perhaps for reasons of compatibility with a generated .vpj or cache data file?) what about adding an identifier to the thumbnail similar to the green tick....like a red "S" just to indicate it is treated?

On a slightly different tack....From a users point of view it would be logical to simply split the timeline at the start and end of the bad section and directly apply the stabilize function to this section...VP, in the background creating a clip from it, stabilizing it; and then putting it back into the timeline replacing the shaky bit. A bit like using the current effects. Is this possible?

Something like this would be very useful for people like myself re-doing old super8 film copies where there are lots of shaky sections. Currently all we can do is stabilize the whole film which can take an age or create individual clips of the bad bits for treating which is also labour intensive.

Nat

Hi Nat,

what about adding an identifier to the thumbnail similar to the green tick....like a red "S" just to indicate it is treated?

Yes, we'll add "- Stabilized" at the end of the clip too (not only the file). The clips on timeline will still inherit from the stabilized clip.

From a users point of view it would be logical to simply split the timeline at the start and end of the bad section and directly apply the stabilize function to this section...VP, in the background creating a clip from it, stabilizing it; and then putting it back into the timeline replacing the shaky bit. A bit like using the current effects. Is this possible?

Currently replacing source file only work for Bin clips, meaning that if you stabilize the video, all split sections on the time line will change. To just stabilize a section you'll have to stabilize a copy and then replace the shaky section with the one that cut from the new clip. You might have to type in the start/end point precisely.

Hi Sam

Thanks for the reply and yes, I know you can only stabilize the clips in the bin. It was just a suggestion that seemed logical and possibly quicker.

It rather looks like I might just as well stabilize the whole film copy each time and just be patient. :-)) I am adding my false "screen border" image with the rounded corners anyway which will cover up any deshaker borders.

Regards Nat

Hi Nat,

Unfortunately we can't use the Deshaker plugin like an effect since the way it works. It has to analyses the entire input video and outputs a new video file.

We still investigating the possibility to stabilize part of the video instead of the entire video.

Best Regards,