Express Scribe WILL fill your hard drive if you're not careful!

Booker

I should preface this by saying I'm running Express Scribe 5.78.

If you go to Settings -> Disk Usage you'll see some details about something called "Delete 'Done' files". It's set to 0 by default.

What this enigmatic phrase means is this: Express Scribe creates a COPY of every video and audio file you ever work on and keeps them FOREVER.

Laughably, it's set by default to delete files if you have only 300mb of hard drive space left. Now if you're like me you end up working with HD video sometimes. That can be 1.5Gb per file. Give it a week or two and soon you'll find your hard drive quickly and mysteriously filling.

The only way I worked it out was that I had to do a major investigation into why my C: was getting more and more full. After hours and hours of Windows troubleshooting (assuming Windows 10 was the culprit), uninstalling software, trying out different virus scanner software, etc etc, I finally ended up discovering a program called WizTree to see where in the world all the space was being used up. It turned out 88% of my hard drive (yes, 88%!) was taken up by the Express Scribe Data folder, which in my case was C:\Users\MyName\AppData\Roaming\NCH Software\Scribe

Note: fixing the settings did NOT fix the problem. The files stayed there. I had to navigate to the folder and manually delete the files.

Now, I understand that there's an update to Express Scribe to 3.8 something... maybe they took care of this problem. I have no way of knowing because even though the version numbers are listed, nowhere does it say what changes were made for the new version. Unfortunately to get the most recent version I'd have to go and find my registration code wherever I put it, and even then I would only get a discount... forget it.

This software is so incredibly useful and powerful, but WOW can it be frustrating...