New Border effect suggestion

Nationalsolo

Hi NCH

I am currently converting a large number of Super 8 films to digital format but would like to retain the old type projection border with rounded corners instead of the current sharp corners in the border effect. Could this be implemented? Something like "Old film border effect"

Nat

Hi Borate

Thanks very much for the ideas. I had previously already played about with using a mask but getting the corners correct was quite a phaff. I ended up having to create transparent gif border in another program to use as an overlay. This does work OK but It would be so much easier if a border effect producing something like this could be added...

67165a011350b2440d948578f9dd070c.jpg

Just like the current border effect with width settings but with round internal corners and perhaps with a variable blend on the inside.

The current mask controls are not that easy to use as one can't add a grid to the expanded clip preview screen to see if things are parallel etc. and there are no value boxes. I didn't find it terribly intuitive which is one of the things VP prides itself on.

My.gif border does work but its an added complication if I want to use any overlay effects.

Nat

Hi Nat,

Thanks for the suggestion.

We can add options to the Border effect to allow users to change the inner shape. It could be useful to also have other shapes like a oval or diamond.

P.S. Do you need this feature in urgent? We are adding some other new features to VideoPad so it would be a while until the next release.

Hi Sam

Thanks. It's not an urgent feature as the image border I mentioned works quite well. I can make it narrower etc using the Scale effect. I just thought it could be a useful enhancement to VP effects. I have plenty of Super8s to go at so it can easily wait for the next release.

Nat

Hi Sam

I have just realized while working on a Super 8 copy that had a rather poor border that I couldn't clean it up using the current border effect as the only adjustment this has is to the width of the border. The sides and top are not independent so the AR stays the same and is no good for the film format. In this case it was just a matter of having to use Crop.

If however you can implement my idea above to make an effect that looks like a film type projection frame with rounded corners and an adjustable internal edge fade, could it be devised so that the sides can be independently adjusted?

Nat